Reading Room/Class Visit Rules
When using our Reading Room, visitors will be expected to follow these rules:
- No food or drink is allowed in the Reading Room.
- No materials may be removed from the Reading Room.
- You may freely retrieve and browse books on the Reading Room shelves.
- Please do not reshelf books. Leave them on the table or on the counter in front of the stacks.
- To request archival collections, you must submit a Materials Request Form. No new materials will be distributed to you within the last 15 minutes before closing.
- All your personal items, including backpacks, purses, notebooks, etc., must be secured in one of our lockers before you can request any archival records.
- Pencils are the only writing utensils allowed in the Reading Room. If you do not have a pencil, a staff member will provide one. You may also use laptops and other electronic devices.
- You may have only one box and one folder from that box open at any time.
- Please maintain records in the order you received them. If something seems out of place, please alert the staff. Do not re-order any materials yourself.
- Keep documents flat on a table and handle with care. If any damage occurs, please alert the staff immediately. Do not try to repair the item.
- Do not use post-it notes or other adhesive flags to mark pages. Our staff will provide non-damaging page markers.
- You may be asked to wear cotton or nitrile gloves to handle photographic materials. These will be provided by our staff. Please handle photos from the edges only.
- It is your responsibility to secure any applicable intellectual or copyright permissions prior to quoting or publishing materials housed in our collections.
- When you are finished with our materials, please alert a staff member before retrieving your personal items from the locker. Leave the key in the lock in the unlock position.