Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
International Students

Search Site

Information for:

Financial Matters

  • Financial Advice


    Upon arrival and check-in with the Center for International Studies, information on local banking services will be provided. The bank you choose depends on your banking needs and the services available.

    To open a bank account, you’ll need your passport, a local mailing address, personal information and money for a deposit. Funds deposited in your account should be in the form of a bank draft, bank wire or check.

    If you have a spouse or other dependents, you may wish to open a joint account. This kind of account allows family members to make use of funds in the account. Family members must also provide the bank with personal information to include their names on the account.

    Helpful Tips

    Managing your money is essential to living in the U.S. The most common expenses students face are tuition, fees, housing, meals, health insurance, books, transportation, clothes, personal expenses, recreation, travel, taxes, family expenses, etc. While the I-20 reflects many of these expenses, a student should also be prepared for unexpected expenses.

    Here are a few tips to help you manage your money:

    • Keep up with your account and expenses. Review your bank statements regularly.
    • Make sure you understand the bank policies and procedures, such as the amount needed to open an account or the minimum balance required.
    • Keep track of your expenses. Try tracking your expenses by date or by categories, such as food, books, clothes, fees and recreation.
    • Pay bills on time. Companies charge a fee for late payments.
    • Be careful when authorizing “automatic debits.” Make sure the company you are authorizing is well-known. Never allow companies to withdraw money from your account unless you authorize the transaction.
    • Don’t write checks for more money than is in your account. It is illegal and usually both your bank and the establishment will charge you a fee.
    • Shop around. Compare different prices before buying an item.
    • Before doing major shopping, get accustomed to the exchange rate, prices and store locations.
    • Look for items on sale through advertising in newspapers, television, radio or stores displays.
    • Shop at discount stores when possible.
    • Look for student discounts at places such as stores, theaters, museums and restaurants.

    Credit Cards

    If you plan on using a credit card issued by a bank in your home country, please make sure the credit card can be used in the U.S. In the past, we have had a few cases when foreign credit cards could not be used in the U.S.

    Debit Cards

    A debit card provides an alternative payment method to cash when making purchases. Its functionality is similar to writing a cheque/check as the funds are withdrawn directly from either the savings/checking bank account (often referred to as a cheque/check card), or from the remaining balance on the card. The debit card serves a multipurpose, acting as the ATM card for withdrawing cash and also as a cheque/check guarantee card.

    For more information on debit cards, contact your local banking center.


    The cost of attending ASU varies with enrollment status, housing situations and personal lifestyles. Standard student expense budgets are prepared each year to determine a student’s financial need. These are the latest cost estimates for undergraduates.

  • Non-Resident Taxes

    Non-Resident Taxes

    If you are a non-resident for tax purposes, you are not eligible to file your tax return electronically. Commercially purchased tax return software will file your return incorrectly. Non-residents for tax purposes should only use the Glacier Tax Prep software.

    Schedule An Appointment

    For tax assistance, schedule an appointment with the Center for International Studies at 325-942-2083.

    Bring these items with you to your appointment:

    • Any W-2 or 1042-S forms
    • All other tax forms you may have received

    The deadline to file tax returns in the U.S. is April 15. Glacier Tax Prep is accessible through June 16.

    Glacier Tax Prep

    ASU has purchased a license agreement for Glacier Tax Prep to assist in preparing your non-resident U.S. tax return. Glacier Tax Prep will prepare the following forms:

    • 1040NR-EZ
    • 1040NR
    • Form 8843

    Before logging into GLACIER Tax Prep, make sure you have the following documents:

    • Form W-2
    • Form 1042-S (please note: the Form 1042-S was issued by the CIS office in February)
    • Passport
    • Copy of last year’s non-resident tax return, if you filed a return

    You will be asked to enter your “Academic Institution” information in Glacier Tax Prep. Please enter the following information:

    Academic Program Director Name: Meghan Pace
    Telephone Number: 325-486-6503
    Institution Address: 2601 W. Avenue N, San Angelo, TX 76909