Concert: ASU Jazz Ensembles
The concert will begin at 2:30 p.m. and is open free to the public. It will open with performances by the new ASU Jazz Combos followed by the full ASU Big Band. The Big Band consists of 18 students performing on saxophones, trumpets, trombones, piano, guitar, bass, drums and vibraphone/percussion. The Jazz Combos are smaller groups of instruments, such a septets and octets. All the groups are directed by Trent Shuey, assistant director of bands.
The musical program for the concert will consist of jazz standards, Latin jazz and fusion, including:
- “Ko-Ko” by Duke Ellington
- “Summer Samba” by Mark Taylor
- “So What” by Miles Davis
- “Cottontail” by Duke Ellington
- “Fly Me to the Moon” by Bart Howard
- “Moanin’” by Charles Mingus
- “The Chicken” by Alfred James Ellis
This entertaining evening of jazz music will also feature solos by some of ASU’s finest student musicians.