Ram Powerlifting Club Runner-Up at Aggie Showdown
February 22, 2018
Angelo State University’s Ram Powerlifting Club finished in second place and brought home 13 medals, including eight championships, from the U.S.A. Powerlifting 2018 Aggie Showdown contest held Feb. 17 at Texas A&M University in College Station.
Competing against teams from colleges and universities across Texas, the ASU team notched eight individual first-place finishes, four second-places and one third-place in various categories of both “equipped” and “raw” contests. Equipped contests allow competitors to wear special clothing, including bench shirts, squat suits and knee wraps, that allow them to lift heavier weights. Raw contests are conducted without any special clothing.
Lifters complete three attempts each at squat, bench press and deadlift. The qualifying total is the sum of the highest weight lifted in each of the three disciplines.
ASU’s top finishers by category and weight class were:
- Caitlyn Buck of San Angelo: First Place, Open Equipped, 138 pounds - *Best Female Lifter Award
- Miranda Stell of Austin: First Place, Collegiate Raw, 103 pounds
- Ellyn Mohr of Cedar Park: First Place, Collegiate Raw, 138 pounds
- Adrianne Thomas of Mansfield: Second Place, Collegiate Raw, 125 pounds
- Breanna Trevino of Corpus Christi: Second Place, Collegiate Raw, 158 pounds
- Austin Rodriguez of Buda: First Place, Collegiate Raw, 183 pounds
- Angel Enriquez of San Angelo: First Place, Open Raw Push-Pull, 205 pounds
- Josh Fisher of Katy: First Place, Collegiate/Junior Raw, 205 pounds
- Jackson Gregory of San Antonio: First Place, Teen Raw, 205 pounds
- Bronson Burks of Bridgeport: First Place, Junior Raw, 265 pounds
- Ben Bowman of San Angelo: Second Place, Collegiate/Junior Equipped, 230 pounds
- Jordan Anderson of Austin: Second Place, Junior Raw, 265+ pounds
- Ben Garza of Wimberly: Third Place, Collegiate Raw, 205 pounds
ASU club sports teams are registered student organizations that are directed and funded by the Office of Student Life and overseen by the Sports Club Council. The Ram Powerlifting Club’s student president is Josh Williams, and the faculty sponsor is Dr. Adam Parker, associate professor of kinesiology.