Ram Powerlifters Medal at Nationals
April 26, 2018
Angelo State University’s Ram Powerlifting Club had five members finish in the top 10 in their respective categories, including two third-place medalists, at the U.S.A. Powerlifting Collegiate National Meet held April 19-22 at Texas A&M University in College Station.
Top finishers for ASU at the national meet, by category and weight class, were:
- Caitlyn Buck of San Angelo: Third Place, Women’s Equipped, 138 pounds
- Brittney Barksdale of Burnet: Third Place, Women’s Raw, 185 pounds
- Haddan Stokes of Abilene: Sixth Place, Men’s Equipped, 265 pounds
- Josh Williams of Azle: Seventh Place, Men’s Equipped, 183 pounds
- Bronson Burks of Bridgeport: Seventh Place, Men’s Raw, 265 pounds
Equipped contests allow competitors to wear special clothing, including bench shirts, squat suits and knee wraps, that allow them to lift heavier weights. Raw contests are conducted without any special clothing. Lifters complete three attempts each at squat, bench press and deadlift. The qualifying total is the sum of the highest weight lifted in each of the three disciplines.
Also competing for ASU at the national meet were Adrianne Thomas, Breanna Trevino, Victoria Reyna, Ben Bowman, Jayson Zamora, Ben Garza, Josh Ontiveros and Jordan Anderson.
ASU club sports teams are registered student organizations that are directed and funded by the Office of Student Life and overseen by the Sports Club Council. The Ram Powerlifting Club’s student president is Josh Williams, and the faculty sponsor is Dr. Adam Parker, associate professor of kinesiology.