The citizens of San Angelo built SAC with hard-earned bond money. By prioritizing higher education for this community and pulling together to make it happen, they left a legacy we must never forget.
We continue to honor our heritage and continually invest in our academic programs, student services and facilities that are beyond compare. Generous alumni, friends and donors continue to amaze us with their vision for Angelo State’s future. We cherish their legacy, as well.
The increasing number of Angelo State legacy families is also greatly inspiring. Generations of families – current and future Rams and alumni – around the globe are examples of another legacy of pride and success.
We are proud to dedicate this issue of the Rambouillet to legacies past, present and future. Thank you for being part of the Ram Family.
Legacies established during Dr. May’s six years as president
- Class Activity: Overall enrollment is up from 6,536 in 2013-14 to 10,447 in 2017-18. Graduate enrollment is up from 990 in 2013-14 to 1,628 in 2017-18.
- Academic Impact: Added 10 new academic programs, including certificates, bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and exchange programs with Far East universities.
- Amazing Art: Three spirited chainsaw carvings have come to life on campus as drought claimed once beautiful oak trees.
- Detachment Distinction: ROTC Det. 847 won a Right of Line Award as the top medium-sized detachment in the U.S.
- Ground-Breaking Buildings: Mayer-Rousselot Agricultural Education Training Center, Hunter Strain Engineering Labs, Health and Human Services Building, Biology Department Greenhouse, Mayer Press Box, Shannon SportsMed Clinic, Centennial Village new wing
- Record-breaking gifts: More than $40 million in major grants and gifts of at least $1 million each since 2013-14.
- Historic New Names: Ben Kelly Center for Human Performance, Phil George Drive, Kay Bailey Hutchison Center for Security Studies, Archer College of Health and Human Services, Norris-Vincent College of Business, David L. Hirschfeld Department of Engineering, LeGrand Stadium at 1st Community Credit Union Field, Foster Field at 1st Community Credit Union Stadium, Mayer Field, Norris Diamond
- Rugby Rules: The Ram Rugby Club has won state and regional championships.
- National Championships: Angelo State’s Meat Judging Team, Meat Science Quiz Bowl Team, Co-Ed Cheer Team, IM Legends co-rec flag football team, Wool Judging Team and members of the Ram Powerlifting Club all have won national championships.
- Public Access: Ram TV now shows various ASU athletic home events and lectureships live on Suddenlink channel 6.