Angelo State Ram Powerlifters Medal at 2019 Longhorn Open
November 26, 2019
Angelo State University’s Ram Powerlifting Club brought home a host of awards, including five first-place medals, from the U.S.A. Powerlifting 2019 Longhorn Open competition held Nov. 23 at the University of Texas at Austin.
Competing against teams from colleges and universities across Texas, ASU team members also recorded one runner-up and two third-place performances in various categories of both “equipped” and “raw” contests. Equipped contests allow competitors to wear special clothing, including bench shirts, squat suits and knee wraps, that allow them to lift heavier weights. Raw contests are conducted without any special clothing.
Lifters complete three attempts each at squat, bench press and deadlift. The qualifying total is the sum of the highest weight lifted in each of the three disciplines. ASU’s top finishers by category and weight class were:
- Adrianne Thomas of Mansfield: First Place, Raw Collegiate, 125 pounds
- Jaylen Montgomery of Waco: First Place, Equipped Collegiate, 145 pounds
- Nicholas Ortiz of Big Lake: First Place, Raw Collegiate, 205 pounds
- Kobe Roberson of Big Lake: First Place, Bench Press Only, 205 pounds
- Kendel Beck of Comanche: First Place, Equipped Collegiate, 265 pounds
- Joshua Ontiveros of Kerrville: Second Place, Raw Collegiate, 230 pounds
- Robert Riojas of Eagle Pass: Third Place, Raw Collegiate, 165 pounds
- Eli Perez of Brownwood: Third Place, Raw Collegiate, 185 pounds
Unlike intramural teams, ASU club sports teams are registered student organizations that are directed and funded by the Office of Student Life and overseen by the Sports Club Council. Kelsey Wheadon of Copperas Cove is the student president of the Ram Powerlifting Club, and the faculty sponsor is Dr. Adam Parker, associate professor of kinesiology.