Family Nurse Practitioner Master’s Degree (M.S.N.)
Our Master of Science in Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner program is designed for baccalaureate nurses who want to develop expertise in an advanced practice role.
This program is offered online through Blackboard, a course delivery system. On-campus attendance requirements are kept to a minimum.
Clinical requirements can usually be completed in the student’s city of residence within the state of Texas, provided course objectives are met. Preceptors and clinical sites are subject to approval per course requirements and expected course objectives.
DegreeMaster of Science in Nursing - FNP
Family Nurse Practitioners (FNPs) are Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs) who provide primary care for patients across the lifespan. FNPs provide holistic care, emphasizing health promotion and disease prevention for individuals and families.
U.S. News and World Report ranked ASU 34th in Best Online Nursing Programs 2014.
Our program maintains a 100 percent pass rate for FNP certification.
We are nationally accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791, http://www.ccneaccreditation.org/ (CCNE)
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the College of Graduate Studies and Research, applicants for regular admission to the M.S.N. program must file a separate departmental application through the Nursing Centralized Application System (NursingCAS) to the Department of Nursing and meet the following criteria:
- Acceptance into the College of Graduate Studies and Research.*
- Be a U.S. citizen or hold permanent residency status in the U.S.
- Reside in the state of Texas.**
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
- Overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale.***
- Undergraduate statistics course (3 SCH) completed with a grade of “C” or higher. (Junior or Senior level statistics within 5 years is recommended but not required).
- Applicant must have one (1) year of recent clinical experience as a Registered Nurse if applying for the Family Nurse Practitioner program.
- Current, unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Texas required.**
- Three references (academic, professional or clinical) addressing your ability to succeed in graduate school.
- Complete a Personal Statement describing (a) why you are choosing to become a Family Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Educator, (b) your plans upon completing the graduate program, (c) how your current work experience will enhance your graduate school experience, and (d) how you plan to manage your time due to the demands of program, work, and/or family life. (Less than 800 words).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/resume.
*In accordance with College of Graduate Studies and Research admission requirements, applicants from a foreign country whom English is not their first language, must also include official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) taken within the last two years.
**M.S.N. curriculum requiring practicums are required to be completed in Texas.
***When an applicant’s GPA is below 3.00, but between 2.75 and 2.99, and if the applicant has achieved a 3.00 GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work, the applicant may be granted provisional admission.
Prior to first clinical course, graduate students must have the following on file in the nursing office:
- Current CPR (professional level) certification.
- Evidence of meeting state-mandated immunization requirements.
- Proof of current health insurance.
- Drug screen and/or background check if required by clinical agency.
Clinical sites may require background checks and drug screens before allowing students to participate in clinical experiences.
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN -formerly NLNAC) or the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education, (CCNE).
- Overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale*
- Undergraduate statistics course (three credit hours) completed with a grade of “C” or better (junior- or senior-level statistics within five years is recommended but not required). Current, unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Texas.**
*When an applicant’s GPA is below 3.0, but between 2.75 and 2.99, and if the applicant has achieved a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work, the applicant may be granted provisional admission.
**All faculty-supervised clinical practica must be completed in Texas.
Fall: April 1
Degree Plan Details Master of Science in Nursing APRN-Family Nurse Practitioner
|Course Number||Course Title||Hours|
|NUR 6312||Evidenced-Based Practice & Theory for Advanced Nursing||3|
|NUR 6316||Informatics & Health Care Technology for Advanced Nursing||3|
|NUR 6317||Health Policy & Ethics||3|
|NUR 6323||Research Foundations for Advanced Nursing||3|
|NUR 6324||Advanced Pathophysiology||3|
|NUR 6331||Advanced Health Assessment||3|
|NUR 6338||Leadership & Roles in Advanced Nursing||3|
|NUR 6339||Population Health Epidemiology for Advanced Nursing||3|
|Course Number||Course Title||Hours|
|NUR 6201||Skills for Advanced Practice Nurse||2|
|NUR 6325||Family Primary Care I||3|
|NUR 6326||Family Primary Care II||3|
|NUR 6327||Family Primary Care I Practicum||3|
|NUR 6336||Family Primary Care II Practicum||3|
|NUR 6351||Mental Health Concepts for Advanced Practice Nurses||3|
|NUR 6537||Integrated Clinical Practice: FNP||5|
Total semester credit hours required: 49
Students must also pass a comprehensive written exam in order to complete the degree.
Carr Academic Graduate Scholarships
Carr Academic Graduate Scholarships are ASU’s premier scholarships for graduate students. Awards are based on undergraduate GPA. Students are considered for the Carr Academic Graduate Scholarship upon their acceptance into the College of Graduate Studies and Research. No application is required.