Nurse Educator Master’s Degree (M.S.N.)
Our Master of Science in Nursing-Nurse Educator program for baccalaureate nurses is designed to help you develop expertise as an advanced-level nurse in a teaching role.
This program is offered online through Blackboard, a course delivery system. On-campus attendance requirements are kept to a minimum.
Clinical requirements can usually be completed in the student’s city of residence within the state of Texas, provided course objectives are met. Preceptors and clinical sites are subject to approval per course requirements and expected course objectives.
DegreeMaster of Science in Nursing - Nurse Educator
Nurse educators are RNs who serve as faculty members in nursing schools and teaching hospitals, sharing their knowledge and skills to prepare the next generation of nurses for effective practices.
U.S. News and World Report ranked our program 34th in Best Online Nursing Programs 2014.
We are nationally accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791, http://www.ccneaccreditation.org/ (CCNE).
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the College of Graduate Studies and Research, applicants for regular admission to the M.S.N. program must file a separate departmental application through the Nursing Centralized Application System (NursingCAS) to the Department of Nursing and meet the following criteria:
- Acceptance into the College of Graduate Studies and Research. *
- Be a U.S. citizen or hold permanent residency status in the U.S.
- Reside in the state of Texas. **
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
- Overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale.***
- Undergraduate statistics course (3 SCH) completed with a grade of “C” or higher. (Junior or Senior level statistics within 5 years is recommended but not required).
- Applicant must have one (1) year of recent clinical experience as a Registered Nurse if applying for the Family Nurse Practitioner program.
- Current, unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Texas required. **
- Three references (academic, professional or clinical) addressing your ability to succeed in graduate school.
- Complete a Personal Statement describing (a) why you are choosing to become a Family Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Educator, (b) your plans upon completing the graduate program, (c) how your current work experience will enhance your graduate school experience, and (d) how you plan to manage your time due to the demands of program, work, and/or family life. (Less than 800 words).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/resume.
*In accordance with College of Graduate Studies and Research admission requirements, applicants from a foreign country whom English is not their first language, must also include official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) taken within the last two years.
**M.S.N. curriculum requiring practicums are required to be completed in Texas.
***When an applicant’s GPA is below 3.00, but between 2.75 and 2.99, and if the applicant has achieved a 3.00 GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work, the applicant may be granted provisional admission.
Prior to first clinical course, graduate students must have the following on file in the nursing office:
- Current CPR (professional level) certification.
- Evidence of meeting state-mandated immunization requirements.
- Proof of current health insurance.
- Drug screen and/or background check if required by clinical agency.
Clinical sites may require background checks and drug screens before allowing students to participate in clinical experiences.
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN -formerly NLNAC) or the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale*
- Undergraduate statistics course (3 credit hours) completed with a grade of “C” or better (junior- or senior-level statistics within five years is recommended, but not required).
- Current, unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Texas.**
*When an applicant’s GPA is below 3.0, but between 2.75 and 2.99, and if the applicant has achieved a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work, the applicant may be granted provisional admission.
**All faculty-supervised clinical practica must be completed in Texas.
Fall: June 1
Required Core Courses Course Number Course Title Hours NUR 6312 Evidenced-Based Practice and Theory for Advanced Nursing 3 NUR 6316 Informatics and Health Care Technology for Advanced Nursing 3 NUR 6317 Health Policy and Ethics 3 NUR 6318 Pharmacotherapeutics 3 NUR 6323 Research Foundations for Advanced Nursing 3 NUR 6324 Advanced Pathophysiology 3 NUR 6331 Advanced Health Assessment 3 NUR 6338 Leadership and Roles in Advanced Nursing 3 Nurse Educator Option Courses Course Number Course Title Hours NUR 6319 Curriculum in Nursing Education 3 NUR 6340 Teaching Strategies and Evaluation in Nursing Education 3 NUR 6347 Roles and Financial Management in Nursing Education 3 NUR 6348 Advanced Nursing Clinical Practice for Nurse Educators 3 NUR 6349 Capstone Practicum in Nursing Education 3
Total semester credit hours required: 39
Students must also pass a comprehensive written exam in order to complete the degree.
Carr Academic Graduate Scholarships
Carr Academic Graduate Scholarships are ASU’s premier scholarships for graduate students. Awards are based on undergraduate GPA. Students are considered for the Carr Academic Graduate Scholarship upon their acceptance into the College of Graduate Studies and Research. No application is required.
For a complete list of available scholarships, see the Scholarship Programs website.
Ann and Crockett Light Nursing Scholarship Donor Ann and Crockett Light Eligibility
- Students enrolled in the Nursing Program at Angelo State University.
- Must be a sophomore or higher
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must be enrolled full time.
Amount Variable Number Variable
Ann and Crockett Light Nursing Scholarship Donor Ann and Crockett Light Eligibility Enrolled full-time in the Nursing program, sophomore or higher and in good academic standing Amount Variable Number Variable
Annette Dominguez and Xander Guy Briones Memorial Scholarship Donor Family and friends Eligibility Nursing major Amount Variable Number Variable
Association of Operating Room Nurses Scholarship Donor Chapter 4430, Association of Operating Room Nurses Eligibility Deserving nursing majors interested in being surgical nurses Amount Variable Number Variable
Cadine Massey Williams Memorial Scholarship Donor Tom C. Massey Eligibility Deserving nursing majors with financial need Amount $1,000 per year Number One per year
Carlton Ivy White Memorial Scholarship Donor Family and friends of Carlton Ivy White Eligibility Worthy and deserving students majoring in nursing Amount Variable Number Variable
Claude Collins, Jr., Memorial Scholarship Donor Family and friends of Claude Collins Eligibility Deserving students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in nursing Amount Variable Number Variable
Concho Valley Medical Alliance Nursing Scholarship Donor Concho Valley County Medical Alliance Eligibility Nursing students with high academic standing and financial need Amount Variable Number Variable
Dr. Dan Parsons Memorial Scholarship Donor Concho Valley County Medical Society, friends, and colleagues in memory of Dr. Dan Parsons Eligibility Worthy and deserving students majoring in nursing Amount $500 Number One per year
H.O. “Bob” Wood Memorial Scholarship Donor Ethicon, Inc. Eligibility Nursing majors Amount Tuition and fees Number Four per year
Helen Joyce Rippetoe Nursing Scholarship Donor Family and friends Eligibility Nursing majors, sophomore or above, with financial need, 2.5 GPA or above Amount Minimum of $500 Number One or more per year
Irene Baker Weddell Nursing Scholarship Donor Pocahontas Chapter, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution Eligibility A student who has entered the nursing program at either the AAS or BSN level. This scholarship is not intended for pre-nursing students. Financial need or grade average is not specified but a sincere intention to complete the nursing program and enter the nursing profession as a Registered Nurse is required. Amount Variable Number Variable
John Henry McCammon III Memorial Scholarship Donor Frannie, Mike, Vicky, Dunya, and their parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.H. McCammon Eligibility Sophomores majoring in nursing with a 3.0 GPA Amount $1,000 (One scholarship for $1,000 or two at $500 each) Number One or two per year
Lea Eckert Wooworth Memorial Scholarship Donor Patricia and Robert Eckert Eligibility Sophomore or above nursing student who maintains a 2.5 grade point average, has need of financial aid, and intends to obtain a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing Amount $500 Number One or more per year
LeRoy and “Sally” Claire Johnson Olsak & Jean S. Johnson Nursing Scholarship Donor LeRoy Olsak Eligibility
- Seeking a Nursing degree
- Full-time student
- Sophomore or higher
- 2.5 or high GPA
Amount Variable Number Variable
Margaret New Boelsche Nursing Scholarship Donor Estate of Margaret New Boelsche Eligibility Nursing major Amount Variable Number Variable
Olson-Buttery Memorial Scholarship Donor John C. Olson and Dorothy Buttery Olson Eligibility Deserving students majoring in pre-pharmacy, pre-medicine or nursing Amount Variable Number Variable
Phyllis M. Spencer and Bobby Spencer Memorial Scholarship Donor Estate of Robert “Bobby” Francis Spencer and Phyllis McPherson Spencer Eligibility Deserving students of international studies and the teaching of special education Amount $500 Number Variable
Ruth A. Decuir Memorial Scholarship Donor Family of Ruth A. Decuir in honor of Mr. and Mrs. K.S. Cox and son and Maude Williams Eligibility Nursing majors with financial need Amount $150 to $250 Number One per year
Sharon Harriss Nursing Donor Family and Friends Eligibility Nursing majors Amount Variable Number Variable
Virginia Lea Carson Harris Memorial Scholarship Donor Family and friends of Virginia Lea Carson Harris Eligibility Deserving students pursuing a B.S. in nursing Amount Variable Number One per year