Academic Advising Certificate
Our Academic Advising Certificate is a graduate-level plan for candidates interested in working as academic advisors in institutions of higher education. This is a 15-hour certificate plan.
Certificate ProgramAcademic Advising Certificate
Professionals who complete this program may seek careers on college or university campuses.
All courses offered in the plan are delivered in an online format for your convenience.
Upon completion of the certificate, students can choose to pursue a Master of Education from Angelo State and apply their certificate credits toward their degree.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Abilities and Skills: Students will demonstrate relational skills that enable academic advisors to convey concepts and information to their advisees.
- Concepts and Approaches: Students will learn ideas and theories that advisors must understand to effectively advise their students and to understand the context for the delivery of academic advising.
- Knowledge and Structures: Students will learn about the institution and field-specific knowledge necessary to guide students during academic advising at their institution.
- Application for Admission
- $40 Application Fee ($50 for international students)
- All college or university transcripts
Note: When applying for the Academic Advising Certificate, please use the 5X8 ND Additional Cert application.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or better
Please contact the graduate advisor to learn more about program deadlines.
Semester Credit Hours (SCH) Courses Hours EDG 6301 Social and Cultural Influences 3 EDG 6324 Career and Occupational Counseling 3 EDG 6362 College Student Development 3 EDG 6367 Foundations of Academic Advising 3 EDSD 6302 Advising for College Transitions 3 Total SCH for Academic Advising Certification 15
Each course must be completed with a grade of B or better to earn the certificate.