Texas Principal Certification
Our online Texas Principal Certification prepares teachers who want to further develop their knowledge, skills, and mindset to become an instructional leader in the K-12 educational setting.
Our experienced faculty will facilitate and guide you in developing a solid skill set by providing a curriculum that is aligned with the Texas principal standards and competencies and substantial field experience opportunities. Through our 18 credit hour online certification program, you will ascertain a deep understanding of the Texas principal standards and competencies that will provide a solid foundation for your educational leadership future.
- Leadership development
- Instructional coaching
- Curriculum oversight
- Data literacy
- Social and cultural influences in education
- Human capital management
- Strategic operations oversight
- School improvement initiatives
Certification ProgramEducational Administration Certification Program
- Elementary and secondary principal or assistant principal
- Campus or district instructional leadership or administration
- Campus or district curriculum leadership or administration
Five 8 week terms/academic year
Graduate scholarships based on undergraduate GPA
Action research framework
- Application for Admission
- $40 Application Fee ($50 for international students)
- All college or university transcripts
When applying for the Principal Certification plan, please use the 5X8 ND Additional Cert application.
- Master’s degree from an accredited university
- Overall undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75, or a 2.75 GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work
- Be currently employed as a teacher, in a full-time position at a TEA approved school
- Hold a valid Texas Standard Teaching Certificate
- Have two years of documented, creditable teaching experience in a TEA approved/recognized school as shown in the candidate’s Texas service record
Please contact the graduate advisor to learn more about program deadlines.
Semester Credit Hours (SCH) Courses Hours EDCT 6301 School Culture for Principals 3 EDCT 6302 Instructional Leadership for Principals 3 EDCT 6303 Human Resources Management for Principals 3 EDCT 6304 Executive Supervision for Principals 3 EDG 6341 Role of the Principal 3 EDG 6347 Practicum in School Administration 3 Total SCH for Texas Principal Certification 18
*To be recommended for certification after completion of the required coursework, the applicant must hold a Texas teaching certificate, and have at least two years’ teaching experience in the Texas public school system or equivalent. Additionally, students must receive a passing score on the TExES Principal exam.
Please contact your Regional Education Service Center for more information about TTESS and TPESS Training.
Students enrolled in this certification plan are not eligible for federal student loans. They are eligible for a state funded loan through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board called the College Access Loan and Private Alternative Educational Loans. For more information, contact the ASU Financial Aid Office.
For a complete list of available scholarships, see the Scholarship Programs website.
Brenda Priess Miller Scholarship Donor Mrs. Brenda P. Miller Eligibility Graduate of Mason High School, junior or senior in the College of Education and a grade point average of 3.25 or higher. Amount Variable Number Variable
Jose and Lydia Garcia Scholarship Donor Ronnie and Maria Hawkins Eligibility This scholarship is for students enrolled and seeking a degree from the College of Education with a 3.0 or higher GPA. Amount Variable Number Variable