Pregnant & Parenting Students
As a parent, the Office of Title IX Compliance can assist you with reasonable accommodations necessary for your academic success. These accommodations may be provided while a student is pregnant, during any pre-or post-delivery complications, and while parenting or caretaking.
If you are a parent or guardian of a child younger than 18 years of age or expecting a child, please complete the self-disclosure form. This form is your opportunity to notify Angelo State that you are a parenting or pregnant student or may need accommodation due to parenting or pregnancy-related issues.
Please note that pregnancy and parenting statuses apply to both partners, regardless of sex or gender identity.
Reasonable Accommodations for Expectant or New Parents:
Reasonable accommodations are modifications to a student’s classroom environment, schedule, or course delivery method. The goal of the accommodation is to modify the student’s experience to address the condition while not altering the academic objectives or requirements of an individual course. Reasonable accommodations can be provided as long as the student’s medical provider deems medically necessary. Possible reasonable accommodations include but are not limited to:
- Modifications to the physical classroom environment (For example, providing the student with a desk close to exit or larger desk);
- Breaks during class;
- Early access to class assignments;
- Excused absences due to pregnancy or pregnancy related conditions, as recommended by the student’s medical provider;
- Extending deadlines and/or allowing the student to make up tests or assignments missed due to pregnancy and/or a pregnancy related condition.
In addition to reasonable accommodations, a student may also request a withdraw without academic penalty or a medical leave of absence if due to the student’s condition they are unable to complete coursework. A student will be allowed to return to the same academic and extracurricular status as before the leave began.
*Please note, the Office of Title IX Compliance will review each student’s situation individually, as reasonable accommodations will be dependent on the requirements of individual courses.
How to Request Pregnancy/Parenting Support for Yourself or for a Student
There are many ways in which pregnant or parenting students may request support. These options include:
- Completing the pregnancy and parenting support form. After receiving the form our office will reach out to the student to discuss available university resources to help them navigate their pregnancy and parenting.
- Call 325-942-2022 or email email@example.com indicating the request for pregnancy or parenting support for the student.
Angelo State has identified a parenting liaison to assist students who are parents of children under the age of 18 or expecting. The parenting liaison will work with you, along with the Title IX office, to make sure your needs are being met.