ASU’s Food Safety and Product Development (FSPD) Laboratory is about 8,000 square feet and is adjacent to the Management, Instruction and Research (MIR) Center, about six miles north of San Angelo.
Directions to the FSPD Lab from San Angelo:
- Take U.S. Hwy 87 North to Grape Creek Road.
- Turn left off of Hwy 87 and head west on Grape Creek Road for approximately 1.5 miles.
- The FSPD Lab is located on the left hand (south) side of the road next to the ASU-MIR center.
The facility maintains several laboratories for research and teaching. The FSPD Lab is able to fully process meat and food products from beginning to end with equipment capable of harvesting, processing, cooking/smoking and packaging.
As part of the Agriculture Department’s mission, the Food Safety and Product Development Laboratory has these objectives:
- Offer quality classroom, laboratory and research experiences to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled as animal science majors with interests in meat and food science.
- Pursue research opportunities in food safety, shelf-life extension, meat quality and product development.
- Provide research results and educational opportunities to the public.
- Offer educational opportunities for public schools through judging contests and clinics.
- Receive recognition for the university through a nationally recognized teaching, research and judging program.