Meat Science Research
Undergraduate research is an educational tool to prepare students for professional careers or graduate school aspirations. Faculty and staff encourage interested undergraduate students to conduct research on topics of interest.
Faculty mentors and students choose individual research topics based on student interest, faculty support and current research needs. Several sources of funding are available to undergraduate students. For more information, contact a faculty member.
These are some topics that students in the department recently researched:
- Modified atmosphere packaging
- Development and evaluation of a breaded beef “popcorn” product
- Knowledge and attitudes regarding food safety practices in the harvesting of wild game
The Meat and Food Science program conducts high-quality research in several key areas. Faculty members actively seek competitive funding opportunities for research projects and initiatives.
Graduate students conduct and complete research projects that focus on one of the multiple stages from the conception of meat animals to the consumption of food and meat products.
Research areas include:
- Pre- and post-harvest food safety interventions
- Pre- and post-harvest factors affecting meat quality
- Factors affecting retail shelf-life and methods of increasing color/quality stability
- New product development: sensory, quality, food safety, shelf-life and marketability
- Development and marketing of lamb and goat products
- Development of alternative finishing systems to increase sustainability
For more information about meat science graduate research, contact Dr. Loree Branham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Meat and Food Science Information
Meat Science Links
- United States Department of Agriculture
- USDA - Food Safety and Inspection Services
- USDA - Agricultural Marketing Services
- Food and Drug Administration
- FDA - Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
- National Food Safety Program
- Texas Department of Agriculture
- Texas Beef Council
- Texas Pork Producers
- Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers Association
- National Cattlemen’s Beef Association
- National Pork Board
- National Pork Producers Council