Requirements for Admission
- Have a B.S. or B.A. in biology or a related discipline (e.g., zoology, botany, microbiology, wildlife ecology).
- Minimum 2.5 undergraduate GPA.
- Completion of a minimum of 24 semester credit hours of undergraduate course work in biology or related discipline, including 12 semester credit hours of advanced course work.*
- An essay on the applicant’s educational plans and career goals. More information about the required essay can be found by following this link: Essay Requirements.
- Completion of the GRE General Test.
- A score** greater than 565 using the formula below:
- Grade point average on last 60 hrs undergraduate GPA multiplied by 100 + Verbal GRE Score + Quantitative GRE Score.
*Students without a degree in biology are required to demonstrate proficiency in Genetics, Cell Biology, Evolution, and Ecology (if credit has not been earned for these courses) by successfully completing the undergraduate course in the first year (with a grade of “C” or better) or by passing a departmental exam prior to the first semester.
**Applicants for the thesis option who fall slightly short of this formula may be considered for provisional admission if they have strong additional indicators that they will be successful in either graduate program.
Financial support for graduate students is available through:
To learn more about the graduate admissions process at Angelo State University, follow this link: Getting Started With Graduate Admissions
You can also read this information about choosing a graduate school that outlines what you need to know before you apply.