History Internship Program
- History 4371 Internship in History (3-0)
- History 6331 Internship (3-0)
Interns will receive three semester credit hours in advanced history. These hours must be applied as elective credit beyond the 30 semester credit hours required of history majors.
The history faculty director of ASU’s Public History Program (Dr. Jason Pierce) will work with an additional faculty representative and Suzanne Campbell of ASU’s West Texas Collection to screen students interested in pursuing internships for history credit. This committee will ascertain the academic preparation and ability of student applicants to perform assigned tasks with the host institution. It is the intent of the internship program to provide history students with practical training for different possible careers while contributing to ASU’s community outreach endeavors and to the economic development of the region.
Institutional internship partners to date include:
- ASU West Texas Collection
- Fort Chadbourne
- Fort Concho
- Downtown San Angelo, Inc.
- City of San Angelo Planning Department
- San Angelo Fine Arts Museum
Requirements for Acceptance as an Intern
Students desiring to pursue history-related internships must meet these requirements:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Have senior or graduate standing.
- Have a declared history major, or, if a history minor, have taken History 4314 Historical Preservation, Research and Writing.
- Provide the names of two history faculty members as references. Written reference letters are not required.
- Meet with one or more of the individuals from the institutions with whom they plan to work. Introductions can be provided through the committee.
Once placed with a host institution, the intern will be expected to work 100 hours over the course of the semester. Interns will keep a journal detailing the tasks performed and skills acquired. This journal will be made available to the host institution and to the Internship Committee.
- Dr. Jason Pierce, Associate Professor of History (Public History, U.S. West, American Indians, Environmental) email@example.com)
- Dr. Gary Pumphrey, Assistant Professor of Geography (Geography, Water Resources, Environmental, Economic Development)
- American Historical Association
- Organization of American Historians
- National Council on Public History
Online Historical Journals
Online Discussion Groups, Book Reviews