Mission Statement of the Department of Political Science and Philosophy
The Political Science and Philosophy Department builds education towards citizenship within the College of Arts and Humanities. The department delivers a quality education that promotes analytic reading, critical thinking, and confident writing. Our programs in Political Science and Philosophy facilitate the development of sound knowledge, practical wisdom, and a solid sense of personal-identity.
The department’s undergraduate programs have the following goals:
- Develop a fundamental knowledge and understanding of political, social, and philosophical ideas and processes.
- Recognize and identify political, social, and philosophical processes and the effect these have on societies.
- Appreciate the different political systems of the different regions of the world, whether in Latin America, Asia, or in Europe.
- Provide accurate and timely advisement to majors and minors.
In order to achieve these goals Political Science and Philosophy faculty pledge to:
- Remain current with developments in their respective fields and share this knowledge with their students.
- Innovate and provide students with the very best in methods of instruction.
- Deliver to students the knowledge and information they will require to continue either into advanced degree programs or into careers more generally, as appropriate.