Angelo State Music Camp
Join us for in-person camp June 4-9, 2023.
Angelo State’s Summer Music Camp offers programs in band, orchestra, marching band drumline and marching band leadership. Register by June 2, 2023. Additional fees apply when registering online.
Students who attend the ASU Summer Music Camp are under the guidance and leadership of ASU faculty and distinguished music teachers to ensure that each student is provided the highest quality of instruction possible.
Our camp is open to students entering the 7 th grade through recent high school graduates. Campers will need to have at least one year of experience on an instrument and be able to read music.
Camp activities include rehearsals, sectionals, musicianship class, a faculty recital, carnival, and afternoon recreation and social time.
Chair Placement Auditions
Auditions occur on Sunday during registration. Audition music is available for both band and string instruments.
Students staying on campus will be housed in one of our air-conditioned residence halls. These students will also receive three meals a day beginning with dinner Sunday night.
Commuters: Students in the San Angelo area may choose to stay off-campus. These students will participate in all camp activities and may purchase a meal plan through the Summer Music Camp.
Please note, residents are not allowed to leave campus during camp, even if they have a car. Once students are turned over to us, we provide a safe and controlled atmosphere. Besides, you’re at camp! Take this opportunity to get to know other campers and enjoy the facilities while improving your performance skills.
Meals: All meals are served in the University Cafeteria and students may eat as much as they wish.
Students are under constant supervision by Summer Music Camp staff. Your student’s safety and well-being are our utmost concern.
Registration is due online June 2. Additional fees apply when registering online.
A paper registration form can be requested by emailing Dr. Jonathan Alvis at email@example.com.
Large groups or those who are paying with a booster check should contact Dr. Alvis at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange registration and payment.
Detailed information concerning the check-in process, what to bring, required release and medical forms, and all other necessary information will be sent via email approximately one week before the start of camp.
Residential Students - $425
Includes tuition and fees, housing and meals
Commuter Students - $150
Includes tuition and fees. A lunch and dinner-only meal plan is available for an extra $100.
Marching Band Leadership Course - $50
Must also register for a package. For grades 9-12 only.
It’s never too early to start dreaming of camp!
June 4 -9, 2023
June 2 - 7, 2024
June 1 - 6, 2025
June 7 - 12, 2026
Registration for Residential Campers will begin at 2 p.m. and conclude at 5 p.m. on Sunday, June 4, at the Carr EFA building. There will be music camp counselors to direct you where to park and register. Do not unload luggage at this time! Only bring your instrument, music and items for registration.
Commuter campers can register from 3:30 p.m. until 5 p.m. in the Carr Education and Fine Arts Building (EFA).
Placement Auditions will occur in Carr EFA from 2:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. Camp counselors will be on hand to help you find the way to the audition room. Audition music is available on our website. Play as much of the music as you can. This is purely to ensure everyone is playing the correct part. Residential campers will go to the residence halls after their audition.
Dinner will be served to all campers on Sunday in The CAF from 5 p.m. until 6:15 p.m. Camp activities will begin at 6:30 p.m. with a general camp meeting in the Eldon Black Recital Hall, also in the Carr EFA. Camp activities will conclude each night at 9:30 p.m. Commuter students can be picked up outside of Carr EFA on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights at 9:30 p.m. They will be picked up at Plaza Verde Wednesday and Thursday nights at 9:30 p.m. These students can be dropped off at Carr EFA each morning between 7:50 and 8:15 a.m. – daily activities will begin at 8:30 a.m. each day.
Remember, Sunday afternoon at Registration, you will need:
- Your Medical Form, Photo Release, Camp Participant form, and Carnival Release Form (complete with parent signature).
- All luggage items and instrument cases labeled with your name and address
- Your musical instrument (label the case with your name- a luggage tag is good or masking tape is fine).
- Dress for Friday Performance for all campers: Khaki shorts, tennis shoes, and the camp shirt that we will provide.
- Two bed sheets, one blanket, one pillow, one pillowcase, towels, washcloth, deodorant, and other personal toiletry items. (Optional: sleeping bag instead of sheets/blanket).
- An alarm clock or alarm clock radio; you’ll need to get out of bed on time!
- A wrist watch is strongly encouraged; you must be on time for rehearsals and classes.
- Informal, yet conservative, summer clothes for rehearsals and recreation, mostly shorts and t-shirts, and tennis shoes.
- A swim suit is not needed. We will not be using the University pool.
- Label your luggage with name and address. (luggage tags or masking tape)
- A raincoat, umbrella, or jacket as desired.
- A small quantity of snacks is OK, but there are also vending machines.
- Change for the vending machines is helpful. (Hint: $15 is probably too little, $100 is too much).
- Remember: A signed Medical Information Form is required at Check-In.
- No TV sets, large stereos, Bluetooth speakers or refrigerators of any size.
- No laptops, tablets or printers. No valuable possessions or keepsake items.
- No skateboards, skates or bicycles. No large fans, the rooms are air-conditioned. (Small fans are ok.)
- No hot plates, microwaves or electric irons.
- No illegal beverages, illegal substances, weapons or fireworks of any type.
Dorm check-out will begin immediately following the camp concert (approx.12:30). Please meet your students at Plaza Verde to get all luggage to your vehicle. Once you have loaded your student’s belongings and have checked out, you are free to leave. Commuter students are free to leave after the camp concert.
The Final Performance will begin at 11:00 am at the Pavilion outside of Plaza Verde. This performance should last no more than an hour. Campers are expected to watch all performances as part of the camp. ONLY BREAKFAST will be served on Friday.
If you have any questions about camp, please do not hesitate to contact us using one of the following methods below:
Email: email@example.com; Phone: 325-486-6037
If you need to reach your child “after hours,” please call the camp office at 325-486-6037.
We will also be posting pictures on our Facebook page: Angelo State University Music. Please “like us” on Facebook