ASU Angelettes Dance Team
The Angelettes are the official Angelo State University Dance Team. They can be seen at home football and basketball games and at specially sanctioned university events. Members of the Angelettes receive scholarships that increase annually for dancers who are invited to return – based on positive history in the organization and audition results – for the next school year. Any current or incoming female student is welcome to audition.
ASU Angelettes Dance Team Tryouts!
Where: Ben Kelly Center for Human Performance Dance Studio
When: August 31, 2018, 6:00-9:00 p.m. (Dance Clinic), September 1, 2018, 9:00 a.m. (Tryouts) and September 2, 2018, 9 a.m.-4:00 p.m. (Mandatory New Member Clinic)
Requirements before Auditions:
- Complete and turn in/mail in Audition Application form and non-refundable application fee of $40 by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 31, 2018 to Miah Wagnon
- If mailed, the audition application form and application fee must be to Miah Wagnon by 5:00 p.m., August 30, 2018
- If you are mailing audition application and application fee: Attn: Angelettes Audition
Ms. Miah Wagnon
Angelo State University
ASU Station 10906
San Angelo, Texas 76909-0906
- One Letter of Recommendation, highly preferred from previous dance instructor or director (no family members) due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 31, 2018 to Miah Wagnon .
- The letter of recommendation must be emailed from the reference directly to Miah Wagnon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject of the email should read: LOR Angelettes- Your Name
- The Letter of Recommendation should highlight your strengths as a leader and dance ability.
General 2018-2019 Audition Requirements
- Incoming freshmen or transfer students must be accepted to ASU PRIOR to auditioning.
- If you have accumulated college credits, you must have a grade point average of 2.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Candidates already attending ASU must be full-time students (12+ semester credit hours), hold a minimum GPA of 2.0, and must be in good standing with the university.
- In order to receive the academic scholarship students must have a GPA or 2.25 or above
- Candidates must be able to attend all school year practices, unless they are approved by the director: Tuesday 7:00-9:00 p.m., Thursday 7:00-9:00 p.m. and Friday 5:00-7:00 p.m.
- Current copy of proof of health insurance
- Extensive dance background
Students selected for the Angelettes Dance Team may receive a participation scholarship. To qualify, members must have a minimum GPA of 2.25. New members that are selected for the team in fall auditions will not receive a scholarship until the spring semester.
Audition Attire (Day 1, Day 2 and Day 3)
- Black hot shorts (may wear tan tights)
- Solid black sports bra (small logos are acceptable, no embellishments)
- No embellishments on tops or bottoms allowed
- Hair down and fixed (bangs do NOT need to be pulled back)
- Full performance Make-Up (this includes a nice shade of Red Lipstick and lip liner)
- Jazz shoes (cannot dance bare foot, color of shoes does not matter)
- Nail polish should be clear, French or American manicured
- No jewelry allowed, except for rhinestone earrings
- No tattoos showing (please cover them with appropriate makeup)
Dance Clinic - August 31, 2018, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Candidates will be given a short warm-up exercise.
- Candidates will have time to practice technique that is performed at tryouts.
- Techniques will include: Fouettes (on right side), Leaps, Double Pirouettes, Calypsos, Russians, Kicks and Turning Disc.
- Candidates will learn a routine that will incorporate technical skill and dance movement. This routine will be performed on September 1st.
- Candidates will briefly review the Angelo State Fight Song, it is highly recommended to learn this prior to tryouts by watching this video.
Auditions - September 1, 2018, 9:00 a.m.
- Candidates will go across the floor to demonstrate technical skills.
- Candidates will then perform the routine learned at clinic.
- Candidates will be asked to perform the Angelo State Fight Song.
- Lastly, candidates will be asked a series of interview questions by our judges. At this time we will be looking for personality traits conducive to being a successful member of our team.
Mandatory New Member Clinic- September 2, 2018, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- New members that are selected for the team at auditions will be required to attend the new member mandatory clinic to be able to officially join the team.
- New members will learn the ASU fight song and sidelines.
- New members will practice technique and dances performed by the Angelettes.
- New members will learn the team policies, procedures and schedules.
- New members will meet the already selected members for team bonding.
The 2018-2019 Angelettes will be posted on the front of the audition building and on our facebook page!
New Team Meeting: Directly Following Auditions
All 2018-2019 Angelettes will meet briefly about the upcoming summer events and expectations for the year!
**Video Auditions are not allowed for fall tryouts. If you are interested in trying out for fall, you have to tryout in person.** Interested candidates must submit a dance routine via USB or YouTube link. Please carefully consider the angle and quality of the recording.
Videos should include:
- An original piece of choreography at least 60 seconds in length, but not exceeding two minutes.
- A segment of the candidate executing the following basic dance techniques:
- Double Pirouettes on the right and left sides
- Grand Jetes on the right and left sides
- Calypso Leaps an the right and left sides
- Right Fouette Turns
- Optional: ONE advanced technical element
- An Interview - Please read and answer the following questions:
- What is your dance background?
- What qualities make you an outstanding candidate for the Angelettes?
- What do you think makes you an exciting performer to watch?
- What measures will you take throughout the semester to ensure you continue to meet the minimum GPA requirement?
- What are your dance goals?
- Attire for a video audition is the same as the open audition.
Deadline: To receive full consideration, audition packets must be to Kasey Heintzelman by Thursday, April 26, 2018 by 5 p.m. Please mail your complete audition packet (USB/YouTube link, completed Audition Application form, and $40 Application Fee)
For more information
Ms. Miah Wagnon