The Angelo State University Theatre is a co-curricular educational program that supports the University mission. ASU Theatre is committed to providing the highest quality training and opportunity for the disciplined theatre artist in a supportive environment. ASU Theatre is dedicated to providing a creative environment in which all students may create relevant, challenging, and meaningful works of art and scholarship in a way that promotes artistic and personal growth. With our student-centric approach, ASU Theatre contributes to the health of the ASU, San Angelo, and global communities.
Angelo State University Theatre will model and encourage the highest standards of creative activity, professionalism, diversity, and collaboration in arts training and education to become a recognized leader in the arts by the San Angelo community and state of Texas.
In addition to studying dramatic literature and acting, students get hands-on experience in theatre design, playwriting and directing. For more detailed information, read the course descriptions.
Theatre faculty members work to ensure that students are getting the most out of their theatre production participation. They encourage students to audition for performances – faculty members direct six productions each year – and help students become accustomed to and comfortable with the three campus theatres.
The theatre program offers these two degree plans:
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre with Teacher Certification
Facilities and Equipment
- The ASU Auditorium is a 400+ seat proscenium theatre, which underwent a major rigging upgrade in the summer of 2012.
- The ASU Modular Theatre is one of only six on U.S. college campuses to have its particular style that allows production groups to completely transform the look and feel of the stage.
- The Studio Theatre is used for student directed works, rehearsal, and classroom.
To see the theatres during past productions, check out the virtual tour.
The theatre program is also technology-driven. Students learn software that is currently used in the professional theatre industry. Software titles include:
- Vectorworks, design/drafting software program, to design scenery and lighting.
- Audacity - a sound editing software program, to design sound effects
- Adobe Creative Suite - including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and After Effects