Graduate Program Admission
Requirements for Admission
- Have a B.S. or B.A. in biology or a related discipline (i.e., zoology, botany, microbiology, wildlife ecology).
- Have a minimum of 24 semester credit hours (12 must be advanced) of undergraduate biology course work that includes cell biology, genetics, evolution and ecology.*
- Minimum 2.5 undergraduate GPA.
- A score** greater than 2250 using this formula:
- Grade point average on last 60 hrs undergraduate GPA multiplied by 100 + Verbal GRE Score + Quantitative GRE Score = 565
- Your score on the verbal portion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) +
- Your quantitative score from the GRE
*A student who has not completed the listed courses as an undergraduate will be required to take these courses as leveling work for graduate admission. All leveling courses must be completed within one year of enrollment in the graduate program. Leveling work for the Master of Science in biology with emphasis in science education program is determined case-by-case.
**Applicants for the thesis option who fall slightly short of this formula may be considered for provisional admission if they have strong additional indicators that they will be successful in either graduate program.
Financial support for graduate students is available through:
You can also read this information about choosing a graduate school that outlines what you need to know before you apply.