- Admission to the Educator Preparation Program
- TExES Eligibility and Registration Procedures
- Creating and Accessing Your TEA Account
- Applying for Certification
- Requirements for Texas Certification
Admission to the Educator Preparation Program
Candidates apply for admission to the Educator Preparation Program (EPP) when they have completed 60 semester credit hours. Admission to the EPP is required for registration in upper-level education classes.
At the time of application to the Educator Preparation Program, all applicants must demonstrate that they have:
- Completed 60 semester credit hours (SCH) with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75.
- Completed at least 12 SCH in their major/teaching field coursework (15 SCH if Math or Science major) with no grade lower than a C and a 2.75 GPA or greater.
- Completed the coursework to demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing, mathematics and communication. To demonstrate proficiency, the candidate must complete the following courses with a grade of C or better:
- Reading proficiency - History 1301, 1302 and Political Science 2305, 2306
- Writing proficiency - English 1301, 1302
- Mathematics proficiency - Mathematics 1314 or an equivalent course
- Communication proficiency - Communication 2301 or 2331
- Met the requirements of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). The TSI skill requirements are normally met at the time of admission to the university or through required coursework. For more information about the TSI, visit the Angelo State University TSI website.
- Acceptable teacher behavior. Candidates will be evaluated on these behaviors through the assessment of teacher dispositions. At the point of admission to the Educator Preparation Program, candidates are required to review and accept the unit’s dispositions.
- All candidates must meet with an EPI Center staff member for an EPP Interview. Once all of the above criteria has been met the staff member will clear the candidates EPP Hold.
To apply for the Educator Preparation Program:
- All applicants must meet with an EPI Center staff member to have an EPP Interview.
- Once EPP requirements have been met the EPI Center staff will clear the applicants EPP Hold.
- Log in to RamPort
- Select Rams icon
- Go to Educator Preparation Program
- Select the Educator Preparation Program (EPP) Application
TExES Eligibility and Registration Procedures
For candidates to be eligible to take the Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES), they must have completed the approved certification program requirements for each examination they wish to take. Individuals should consult with the appropriate ASU department or college concerning certification program requirements.
TExES Registration Procedure
- Report to the ASU college or department responsible for your teacher certification area to determine your eligibility (i.e., the Mathematics Department for Mathematics 8-12 certification). Ask a representative to send a notice of your approval to Maggie Blair, Certification Specialist, in the Educator Preparation Information Center (EPI Center). This approval can be sent via email to email@example.com.
- After your certification area department has notified us that you are eligible to take the test(s), the Certification Specialist will notify you via email that your approval has been uploaded to TEA.
- After your approval has been uploaded, you may register for the test(s). A credit card is necessary to complete the registration. You must have a valid Texas Education Agency ID number before you can register. For more information, read and follow these certification test registration instructions.
Creating and Accessing Your TEA Account
You must create a Teacher Education Agency Account (TEA). Establishing your profile account with TEA will provide you with a TEA I.D. number. Your TEA Account gives you access to test registration, certification applications, fingerprinting, certification renewal, etc. for as long as you are a Texas Educator.
How to access your TEA account through the new TEAL System.
If you have any issues, first contact the Certification Specialist for assistance at 325-486-6601. Most issues may be resolved working through the process together. If not, TEA will be contacted at 512-936-8400. They will only issue information and assistance to you.
Applying for Certification
Teacher Certification Applications are completed online on the TEA website after all required certification tests are passed. Once submitted, TEA will make the application available to the ASU Certification Specialist. The Certification Specialist will recommend the application once ALL state and local requirements have been met. To apply for a teaching certificate, please follow the steps listed below:
- Go to the TEA website.
- Click on TEASE & TEAL Secure Applications located near the top right hand side.
- Choose TEAL Login
- Click on Educator (in blue italics around the middle of the page). This should take you to another page that is mostly a blue screen.
- Choose Applications on the left.
- Choose Standard Certificate Texas Program
- Apply for Certification
- Complete the Affidavit questions
- Choose from the drop down box: Angelo State University (University Based)
- Enter Subject: this will be the Teacher Certification you are applying for (I.E., EC-6 Gen w/SPED)
- Check that you understand Teacher Certifications are no longer mailed
- Check that you have verified your addresses
- Verify Angelo State University (University Based)
- Complete the Exit Survey
- Pay your application fee
- You may be prompted for fingerprinting at this point. If you have already completed that process, just ignore it. If not, apply and pay the fee as prompted.
Requirements for Texas Certification
Candidates desiring teacher certification at the levels of Early Childhood to Grade 6, Grades 4-8, Grades 7-12 or all levels are required to complete the following procedures:
- Complete the Educator Preparation Program.
- Graduate (or already possess a degree).
- Pass all appropriate certification exams.
- Apply for certification with TEA (www.tea.state.tx.us).
- Pass a national background check.
Required Fingerprinting of Applicants for Certification
TEA requires that applicants for a Texas certification must be fingerprinted through their contracted DPS vendor unless the applicant currently resides outside Texas, and is unable to utilize a Texas location of the vendor. For further information click: TEA Fingerprinting.
- A fee of $39.50 is required for processing of fingerprints though DPS, FBI and TEA. TEA requires all applicants for certification and all certified educators required to be fingerprinted under TEC Chapter 22, Subchapter C to pay this fingerprinting fee online.
- An additional fee of $9.95 is paid to the vendor at the time of appointment. This fee is assessed for scanning of prints.
- A FAST Fingerprint Pass is issued to the applicant/educator by TEA once online payment has been made; a fingerprinting appointment cannot be scheduled without this document in hand. This document, along with a valid photo ID must be presented at the time of appointment.
- Fingerprinting results are received by TEA typically 3-5 days after the appointment.
- Digital fingerprinting through the vendor is offered at over 80 locations currently. For a list of current sites, click: Vendor Sites
Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation of Educator Certification Candidates
A Request for Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation is a non-mandatory, non-binding evaluation of an individual’s self-reported criminal history, by the agency’s educator investigations staff. The evaluation is a service provided to the requestor for a non-refundable fee made by credit card. The requestor will receive a preliminary criminal history evaluation letter by email from the agency advising the requestor of a determination of potential ineligibility for educator certification. The evaluation is based solely on the information that is provided by the requestor. Participation in the evaluation will not preclude you from being required to submit to a national criminal history review at the time you apply for your educator certification. This means you will be required to be fingerprinted and to pay the applicable fees at that time. Your criminal history will be reviewed at that time and you may be subject to an investigation based on that criminal history, including any relevant information regarding the criminal history evaluated that you failed to submit for evaluation. For further information or to request this service, please visit the TEA website at www.tea.state.tx.us.