Skip Navigation
Center for International Studies
Member, Texas Tech University System The Princeton Review - 373 Best Colleges, 2011 Edition


Tax Treaties

Some countries have tax treaty agreements with the U.S. that exempt certain amounts of U.S. source income and/or scholarship/fellowship payments from taxation. Refer to the appropriate treaty lists below to see if your country has a tax treaty.

  • If you are from a tax treaty country and received a treaty exemption for part of your earned income, you will receive a Form 1042-S by mid- February. This is in addition to your Form W-2. Both forms are necessary in order to file your taxes.
  • If you received scholarship funds during the previous year. you will receive a Form 1042-S in mid-February.

If you will be using GLACIER Tax Prep to file your non-resident tax return, you will be guided through the questions of whether or not you are eligible for a tax treaty.

Tax treaties for students with wages
Tax treaties for students with scholarships