Engineering is the application of math and physics in order to solve real-world problems. Students with an interest in earning a BSCE or BSME degree must meet ASU’s admission standards as outlined in the University Catalog.
Our degree plans begin with Calculus I. Students must meet the following prerequisites to enroll in Calculus I:
- Have all the prerequisite college credits with a C or better in College Algebra & Precalculus through dual credit;
- Place into Calculus I through our campus math placement exam; OR
- Earn credit for Calculus I through the AP Calculus AB exam with a score of 3 or higher.
Incoming freshman enrolled in MATH 2312 Precalculus (or higher) begin the program as Engineering Fundamentals students and must satisfy all of the Engineering Fundamentals requirements. Students remain Engineering Fundamentals majors until they successfully complete the Engineering Advancement Exam, maintain an overall GPA of 2.50, and complete the following courses:
- ENGR 1201 Introduction to Engineering
- ENGR 1304 Engineering Graphics
- ENGR 1307 Plane Surveying (CEF-only)
- ENGR 2301 Engineering Statics*
- ENGR 2302 Engineering Dynamics*
- ENGR 2305 Electrical Circuits (MEF-only)
- MATH 2313 Calculus I*
- MATH 2314 Calculus II*
- PHYS 2325 Fundamentals of Physics I*
- PHYS 2326 Fundamentals of Physics II*
Courses noted with an asterisk must be completed with a grade of C or better. Students are eligible to sit for the Engineering Advancement Exam after they earn a minimum of 2.50 GPA in the above courses. Schedule an appointment with the Engineering Academic Advisor and Department Chair to confirm your eligibility to sit for the next scheduled Engineering Advancement Exam.
After satisfying all the criteria listed above, students become Civil or Mechanical Engineering majors and must complete all remaining requirements to earn a BSCE or BSME degree as outlined in the University Catalog.
If you have additional questions regarding the program, please call the David L. Hirschfeld Department of Engineering at 325-942-2483 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.