Civil Engineering Objectives and Outcomes
Program Educational Objectives
The undergraduate engineering programs at Angelo State University strive to prepare practice-ready engineers who:
- Respond to the needs of society by integrating effective communication, ethical responsibility, social awareness, and analytical reasoning in engineering design.
- Demonstrate superior engineering competency by creating innovative, safe, equitable, sustainable, and economical solutions to complex problems.
- Act as agents who broaden the diversity of the profession through effective teamwork, negotiation, mentorship, and leadership.
- Pursue professional registration and improve their professional competencies through life-long reflective learning.
Student Learning Outcomes
Skills our graduates have upon graduation:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply both analysis and synthesis in the engineering design process, resulting in designs that meet desired needs.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to recognize the ongoing need for additional knowledge and locate, evaluate, integrate, and apply this knowledge appropriately.
- An ability to function effectively on teams that establish goals, plan tasks, meet deadlines, and analyze risk and uncertainty.