Vision and Mission Statements
The David L. Hirschfeld Department of Engineering offers programs grounded in mathematics and basic sciences, which applies engineering fundamentals to the solutions to today’s complex problems. These engineering fundamentals are supported by strong humanities, arts, and social sciences programs of the University. This broad education leads to graduates who are practice-ready engineers with the broader skills to become leaders in their communities.
This diverse family of students, staff, and faculty is professionally and culturally engaged with our regional community. We will be recognized as one of the premier undergraduate engineering programs in Texas, cultivating and graduating practice-ready engineers with the broader skills to be future leaders.
The David L. Hirschfeld Department of Engineering will:
- Employ effective learning-centered teaching that incorporates the changing paradigm of engineering education.
- Maintain a theoretically-grounded, practice-focused curriculum, which integrates global issues and sustainable concepts in engineering design.
- Engage our regional community to enhance science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) opportunities.
- Provide faculty and students opportunities for interdisciplinary scholarly work.
- Support and celebrate students’ unique interests and creativity.