Department Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Social Work is to provide a generalist social work education to a diverse student body based upon the knowledge, values, and skills of the social work profession; prepare social work students to work with diverse populations, including both rural and urban settings; become active members of the Angelo State University community and the community at large; and to advocate for vulnerable populations, including social, economic, and environmental justice
BSW Program: Mission, Values and Goals
As a social work program located in West Central Texas, the mission of the social work program at Angelo State University is to provide quality social work education, based on the knowledge, values and skills of the social work profession; while preparing the students to work with diverse populations with an emphasis on the emerging Hispanic population, the military population, and older adults in both rural and urban settings characteristic of the region. The program will provide professional development opportunities for students who desire to promote the social, psychosocial, or biopsychosocial functioning and well-being of individuals, couples, families, groups, organizations, and communities via generalist social work practice.
The social work program supports the core values of the social work profession, reflecting the six value elements of the National Association of Social Workers’ Code of Ethics and two additional value elements from the Council on Social Work Education. The elements include:
- Social justice
- The dignity and worth of the person
- The importance of human relationships
- Human rights
- Scientific inquiry
These values provide the foundation for the mission and goals of the social work program and our social work curriculum.
The social work program provides a rigorous curriculum grounded in the liberal arts, using sound teaching practices to promote the knowledge, values and skills used in social work that can be applied across settings and diverse populations. It also promotes critical thinking skills, as well as ethical and competent social work practice consistent with the mission and objectives of the social work profession. To this end, the goals of the program include:
- to prepare entry-level, generalist social work practitioners to provide ethical and competent services utilizing the knowledge, values, and skills of the social work profession (EP 2.1.1 - EP 2.1.10d);
- to equip students to work with a diverse population of clients that are represented in West Central Texas. (EP 2.1.4);
- to empower students with the necessary skills to work in the evolving environment in West Central Texas;including urban and rural settings (EP 2.1.9); and
- to advocate for social and economic justice for at risk populations in West Central Texas (EP 1.8).