Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Study Abroad

Search Site

Information for:

Information to help you have safe travels

Health and Safety


  • Introduction

    The health, safety and security of ASU students participating in university sponsored study abroad and exchange programs is of paramount importance to the Center for International Studies.

    We follow best practices to assure the health and safety of ASU students abroad.

    ASU study abroad program directors participate in the mandatory Risk Management Workshop, which is moderated by the study abroad coordinator. A representative from our University Health Clinic and Counseling Services provides pertinent information regarding health issues and concerns that might arise when traveling with students abroad.

    Prior to departure, you are required to attend an orientation session in which many heath, safety and security issues are addressed.  

  • Insurance

    To keep students safe abroad and to assure uniform coverage, Angelo State University has contracted with HTH Worldwide for insurance that provides:

    • Health and accident coverage
    • Emergency medical evacuation
    • Repatriation of remains
    • Political and security risk coverage

    HTH Worldwide is a leader in providing comprehensive coverage to students around the world. The insurance company has an excellent network of medical providers and an established process for emergency evacuations that makes HTH Worldwide a great partner in providing the safest study abroad environment possible to ASU students.

  • Emergency Contacts

    Emergency Contact Phone Numbers

    • Center for International Studies – 325-942-2083 (a CIS staff member is on call after hours)
    • HTH Worldwide Insurance Services – (within the U.S.) 888-350-2002 or (outside the U.S.) 610-254-8771
    • U.S. State Department’s Overseas Citizens Service – 202-501-4444
    • U.S. State Department’s Overseas Citizens Service – 202-647-5225 for relatives and friends who need to relate messages and/or wire money to a student abroad. (This service can be accessed on weekdays from 8:15 a.m.–10 p.m. and on Saturdays from 9 a.m.–2 p.m.)

    All students traveling abroad are encouraged to register with the U.S. State Department. This allows American officials to know the location of any particular ASU student in the event of an emergency. If family members need to reach you in case of an emergency, they can relate a message to you through the Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 202-647-5225. The message will then be forwarded to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country you are visiting.

    All students traveling abroad receive an Emergency Contact Card with the Center for International Studies’ phone number for 24-hour emergency assistance. The Emergency Contact Card also has the phone numbers of the U.S. embassies in the countries that you are visiting.