Employee Dependent Scholarship
Eligible employees are Angelo State University faculty and staff who are in a full-time, benefits-eligible position as of the first day of the academic semester in which the dependent is enrolled.
The dependent of the eligible employee (as defined above) must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a biological child, stepchild, adopted child, or person claimed as a dependent in the current or previous tax year of a full-time benefits-eligible ASU employee
- Be 25 years old or younger on the first day of the semester or term of the initial application
- Be a full-time student at Angelo State University who is seeking their first baccalaureate degree.
Please note: If both of the dependent’s parents are full-time, benefits-eligible employees, the dependent is only eligible for one scholarship.
Academic Requirements for Application
The dependent must have a 2.5 grade point average at the time of the initial application. Grade point average calculations will be determined as follows:
- High School grade point average will be used for dependents enrolling at ASU immediately after high school.
- Transfer grade point average will be used for students transferring from a different college and/or university (not dual credit).
- ASU cumulative grade point average will be used for current and/or former Angelo State University students.
The scholarship may be awarded for up to eight consecutive semesters (excluding summer sessions) or until the first baccalaureate degree is awarded, whichever comes first. The recipient and employee must continue to meet the eligibility requirements listed above.
The application is located on RamPort in the Employee Benefits section on the Employee Page. The following are the steps to the application, approval, and fund disbursement process:
- The employee is required to submit the Employee Dependent Scholarship application one time only for each dependent. Submit by Aug. 1, if the dependent will begin ASU in the fall semester; submit by Jan. 15, if the dependent did not attend in the fall but will attend beginning spring semester. (Submitting in August will cover submission for both semesters.) For new applicants (applying for the scholarship for the first time), the application on RamPort will be available March 1 each year for the following fall semester.
- The Office of Human Resources will verify the employee’s eligibility and his/her dependent’s status.
- The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will verify the dependent’s academic eligibility.
- Once all requirements have been verified and approved, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will disburse funds.
- The Employee Dependent Scholarship funds are disbursed on enrollment of a minimum 12 hours (each student is awarded a maximum of $500 in the fall and $500 in the spring).
- The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will verify that the dependent has met the requirements for continued participation (below).
- The Office of Human Resources will verify the employee’s continued eligibility and his/her dependent’s status.
- Once all requirements have been verified and approved, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will renew the scholarship for the next academic year.
Requirements for Dependent’s Continued Participation
The dependent must fulfill all of the following:
- Maintain full-time enrollment (12 credit hours per semester)
- Must be in good academic standing
- Regarding employee eligibility and dependents, contact the Office of Human Resources at 325-942-2168, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regarding the awarding process, scholarship award, or satisfactory academic progress requirements, contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at 325-942-2246.