The ASU Instructional Designers (ID’s) mission is to provide faculty with support to be successful in their teaching endeavors. We collaborate and consult with faculty on the effective use of the following tools in online, face-to-face and blended learning environments:
- Instructional design strategies
- Web-based resources
- Multimedia technologies
- Instructional software and systems for course development
We are also charged with planning, developing and facilitating training/workshops on best practices for online instruction and use of educational technology in the classroom.
Instructional Designers create materials, instructional videos and resources that would benefit faculty in helping them design strategies that foster meaningful learning in their face-to-face, hybrid, and online classrooms. In this, we work together well as a team and share resources.
Instructional Designers help instructors to develop and maintain courses within Blackboard each semester. We assist faculty in the following areas:
- Application of teaching strategies to your specific learning environment and requirements
- Development of learning objectives that align with desired assessment strategies
- Selection of technology best suited to learning styles and teaching methods
- Adaptation of instructional materials for your desired course outcomes
To take advantage of these services, please submit your course syllabus to an ID.
Course Maintenance and New Course Creation
Whether you are new to teaching using Blackboard or have many courses developed within this platform, the following services are open to you. We recommend that you first submit your course syllabus to an ID.
- Course Copy from past semester
- Consultation and assistance with setting up or updating assignments
- Consultation and assistance with the alignment of assessments and course objectives
Consultation and close guidance for new Blackboard course creation which includes:
- Design: Mapping of the course to link specific learning outcomes with assessments, using evidence-based pedagogy, that optimizes how online students interact with your subject matter.
- Delivery: Ongoing training and support for course management to include, but not limited to, rubric development, grade book setup, quiz/test importing, and Blackboard assignment troubleshooting.
If you want to highlight something you are doing in Blackboard or in your classroom, contact us and we will be happy to feature your work.
We must acknowledge that there is no single systems approach model for designing instruction!
Collectively, all design models and the processes they represent are referred to in a part of Instructional Systems Development (ISD). Instructional Design (ID) is used as an umbrella term that includes all the phases of the ISD process.