What is FERPA?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), as amended, establishes requirements regarding the privacy of student records. FERPA governs:
- The release of student records maintained by the university
- Access to student records
When a student reaches the age of 18 OR is attending a postsecondary institution, regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer from the parent to the student. Parents of ASU students may not receive information from a student’s records unless the student creates a FERPA/Proxy Authorized User from his/her secure RamPort account.
If you would like to give another individual access to your student records, you must create a FERPA/Proxy Authorized User from your secure RamPort account. This individual must have a valid email address.
Steps to set up a FERPA/Proxy Authorized User:
- Sign in to RamPort with your ASU username and password.
- Navigate to the Financial Aid & Billing page.
- Select FERPA/Proxy access in the Designating Authorized Users section.
- Click Add Authorized User to set up an account for a third party (i.e. Mom, Dad, Employer, Academic Advisor).
- Read the text on the page and make sure that you understand the implications and responsibility of granting a FERPA/Proxy Authorized User access to your records and information.
- Type in the required information including a valid email address for the Authorized User. This is not your email address. This email will allow the Authorized User to receive communications necessary to finalize the set up of their account access.
- Expand Authorized User to set up the relationship and description of your Authorized User. Be as specific as possible. Your user will receive an email and once he/she logs in to their secure account and submits the required information, your FERPA/Proxy is complete. At this point, ASU staff and faculty can discuss your educational and financial records with this user.
- If you want to grant additional online viewing access of bill, address, or tax information, choose the “Authorization” tab to select the information you would like them to view (if any).
Students must create a FERPA/Proxy Access for you to view their bill. Without this authorization, you will not be able to see the tuition and fee details of the bill. Once you are granted FERPA/Proxy Access, you will receive an email with further instructions.
After setup is complete you can log in and view your student’s bill.