Skip to Main content

Education Major Careers

Education Development Job Description

Video By:

Education Career Information





K - 12

  • Teaching
    • Pre-school
    • Elementary
    • Middle
    • Secondary
  • Administration
    • Principalship
    • Superintendency
  • Special Services
    • Reading
    • Title 1
    • Guidance Counseling
    • School Psychology
    • School Social Work
    • Occupational and Physical Therapy
    • Audiology and Speech Pathology
    • Library/Information Services
    • Special Education
    • English as a Second Language
    • Curriculum Supervision
    • Subject Area Supervision
  • Elementary, middle and secondary schools:
    • public, private, Montessori, etc.
  • Day care centers and nursery schools
  • Boards of education
  • Complete a college level teacher preparation program.
  • Obtain teaching certificate/license for desired subject area and/or grade level. Requirements for certification/licensure vary by state.
  • Obtain multiple certifications to increase employability.
  • Private schools may not require certification or licensure. Obtain master’s degree in subject area for increased employability.
  • Get involved in student teacher organizations.
  • Acquire teaching experience. Obtain Ph.D. and certificate in school administration.
  • Graduate study required for “special service” fields. Obtain master’s degree in area to become specialist. Requirements for certification and/or accreditation vary by state.

Higher Education

  • Teaching
  • Research
  • Administration
  • Student Affairs
  • Information/Library Services
  • Four-year colleges and universities
  • Two-year and community colleges
  • Technical schools
  • Medical and professional schools
  • Earn Ph.D. to teach and research at four-year institutions. Master’s or Ph.D. degree is required to teach at two-year schools.
  • Earn a Ph.D. in higher education administration for upper level positions in university administration.
  • Earn master’s degree in student personnel, student development, or counseling for student affairs positions.
  • Obtain master’s degree in library/information sciences.
  • Gain related experience through student positions such as Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders, etc.
  • Seek leadership roles in campus organizations.

Adult and Continuing Education

  • Inservice Education
  • Staff Development
  • Professional Development
  • Leisure-oriented Education
  • GED Preparation
  • Literacy Development
  • English as a Second Language
  • Consulting
  • K-12 school systems
  • Boards of education
  • Colleges and universities
  • Two-year and technical schools
  • Community organizations: YMCA, Red Cross, etc.
  • Correctional institutions
  • Museums
  • Professional associations
  • Nursing homes/Adult daycare
  • Vocational services
  • Consulting firms
  • Attain a master’s or Ph.D. degree in adult education or a graduate degree in a subject or specialized area.
  • Gain a reputation of expertise and experience in a subject, profession, art, craft or trade.
  • Obtain teaching or instructional experience.
  • Determine certification or accreditation standards for areas of interest.

Business and Industry

  • Corporate Training
  • Human Resources
  • Sales
  • Customer Service
  • Publishing, Editing, and Technical Writing
  • Curriculum Development
  • Consulting
  • Public and private corporations
  • Consulting firms
  • Marketing companies
  • Bookstores
  • Publishers:
    • Textbook, newspaper, magazine, book
  • Test-preparation companies
  • Software companies
  • Staffing agencies
  • Take some general business and computer courses.
  • Earn a graduate degree in human resource development.
  • Gain experience in organizational development or marketing.
  • Become current with business and industry literature and news.
  • Develop strong word processing, editing, and desktop publishing skills.


  • Administration
  • Planning
  • Evaluation
  • Management
  • Research and Writing
  • Teaching
  • Social Work
  • Federal government agencies:
    • Department of Education
    • Department of Defense
    • Overseas schools for military dependents
    • Department of Labor
    • Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC)
    • Health and Human Services
    • Library of Congress
    • National Archives and Records Administration
    • National Science Foundation
    • National Endowment for the Arts
    • National Endowment for the Humanities
    • Peace Corps
    • Americorps
  • Social service agencies
  • State and local government
  • Learn federal, state, and local job application procedures.
  • Gain experience and an advanced, typically Ph.D, degree for high level positions in government.


  • Teaching or Training
  • Programming
  • Public Relations
  • Administration
  • Fundraising
  • Case Managing
  • Lobbying
  • Adoption agencies
  • Scouts
  • Camps
  • United Way agencies
  • Group homes
  • Mental health clinics
  • Hospitals
  • Community recreation centers
  • Other public or private social service organizations
  • State/national professional associations
  • Gain experience through volunteer work or internships.
  • Develop writing and public speaking skills.
  • Learn to work well with people of various back grounds.
  • Add additional coursework in area of interest such as human services, counseling or psychology.
  • Consider certification in special education for greater employability.
  • Seek grant writing experience to increase opportunities.

General Information and Strategies


* = Recommended Sites