“Angelo State University is a wonderful higher education institution on the rise,” Mitchell said. “There are countless thriving and exceptional programs at the university, and we look forward to finding a leader who can further build upon its strong momentum. Angelo State’s rich history, unique traditions and upward trajectory are factors that make this an attractive position for its next great leader.”
The nine-member committee is chaired by Mickey L. Long, former chairman and current member of the TTU System Board of Regents. Long, a 1976 graduate and Distinguished Alumnus of Angelo State University, has spent more than 35 years in the oil and gas industry and has served the university and System in many capacities, including as past chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Carr Scholarship Foundation and member of the Angelo State University Alumni Foundation.
“I take immense pride in the honor of leading the search committee for the president of Angelo State University,” Long said. “As a proud alumnus of ASU, and representing the Board of Regents, I am confident that our committee will take a diligent approach to identify a visionary leader who embodies the values and culture of the Ram Family. Our committee includes successful and dedicated leaders from the university and San Angelo community, in addition to steadfast supporters and stakeholders of ASU. I appreciate the commitment of this tremendous group that will guide us in helping find Angelo State’s next president.”
The search committee, which includes representation from multiple ASU and TTU System constituencies including regents, faculty, deans, donors, alumni, administrators and community members, will begin its work immediately. Other members of the search committee are:
- Jamie Akin - Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations, Angelo State University; Angelo State University alumna; San Angelo
- Kendra Burris– Deputy Chancellor, Office of the Chancellor, Texas Tech University System; Lubbock
- Joe Henderson – Former president of Porter Henderson Implement Company; Angelo State University alumnus; San Angelo
- Crystal Kreitler – Associate Professor, Department of Psychology and Sociology; President, Faculty Senate, Angelo State University; San Angelo
- Jean Ann LeGrand – Chairman Emeritus, Angelo State University Alumni Association; Supporter and board member of the ASU Foundation and Angelo State Athletic Foundation; Angelo State University alumna; San Angelo
- Alvin New– Partner, BNB Ventures; Owner, 4N Ranches; Board of Director, Texas Tech Foundation; Angelo State University alumnus; San Angelo
- John Steinmetz – member of the TTU System Board of Regents; CEO of Vista Bank; Dallas
- Paul Swets – Dean and Professor, College of Science and Engineering, Angelo State University; San Angelo
A national search will be conducted for the next Angelo State University president. The committee will help identify potential candidates, assist with initial screenings and ensure their respective constituency groups are kept updated on the progress of the search. Candidate recommendations will be forwarded to the chancellor and the board. The chancellor will provide a recommendation to the Board of Regents, who will make a final appointment.
Angie Wright is serving as the interim president of Angelo State University until the search for a new president has been completed. Wright, a graduate of ASU, has been a member of the Ram Family community for more than three decades. She has been vice president for finance and administration since 2014.