The inspection was conducted by Drs. Thomas E. Lee Jr., Robert D. Bradley and Caleb D. Phillips on behalf of ASM.
After successfully demonstrating the requirements listed below, our Mammals Collection and Genomic Resources (tissues) Collection have been accredited by ASM and have a specimen continuity plan (and thus, are protected in perpetuity).
Requirements for accreditation include:
- Professional staff and/or curator(s)
- Modern practices and archival materials
- Adherence to permitting regulations
- Updated taxonomic collections order
- Rigorous facilities requirements to protect specimens and original data
- Accurate data recording and backups
- Accessibility to public and research institutions (digitized collection)
- Systems for data and specimen continuity
As part of this milestone, the ASNHC has adopted a new logo that recognizes the importance and strength of the tissues collection among our suite of distinct taxonomic divisions. Thank you to the Department of Communications and Marketing for designing a sleek double helix to represent our genomic resources!