Angelo State University has received a 2021 Veteran Education Excellence Recognition Award from the Texas Veterans Commission’s (TVC) Veterans Education Program – and is one of only six Texas universities to receive the highest-level Gold Award.
Established this year, the new award recognizes public universities and colleges that provide excellence in education and related services that significantly contribute to the academic success of student veterans and military-connected students.
All public institutions of higher education in Texas were invited to submit application packages. The TVC evaluated applicants on a variety of criteria, including the existence and quality of:
- A centralized place for students who are veterans to meet or find assistance and information
- An institution employee who serves as a central point of contact for students who are veterans
- A U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs work-study program; admissions and enrollment policies for veterans
- New student orientation and courses for veterans
- A student organization for veterans
- Academic support services for students who are veterans
- Mental health and disability services
- A housing policy that applies to veterans
- Faculty and staff training on issues affecting students who are veterans
- Career services for students who are veterans
- Any other criteria considered necessary or appropriate by the commission
Angelo State is the only Lone Star Conference school to earn a 2021 award from TVC. This also marks the fourth time this year ASU has been recognized for providing excellent education and related services to military and veteran students and their families. Other accolades include:
- “Military Friendly School” designation by G.I. Jobs magazine
- “Best for Vets College” designation by the Military Times
- “Best of the Best Top Veteran-Friendly School” designation by U.S. Veterans Magazine
ASU’s Veterans Educational and Transitional Services (VETS) Center provides enrollment and academic support for military and veteran students, as well as special programs, networking opportunities, social and study areas, and a dedicated computer lab. The Office of Affiliated Military and Veteran Services coordinates the efforts of the VETS Center and other faculty and staff who deal directly with ASU military and veteran students and their families.