Angelo State University’s Master of Science (M.S.) in psychology degree programs in several different disciplines have been ranked among the best and most affordable in the nation for 2021-22 by multiple higher education resource guides.
The ASU programs receiving the most recent national rankings include:
- M.S. in counseling psychology
- M.S. in applied psychology
- M.S. in industrial/organizational psychology
“We are very proud to be continually ranked by a wide variety of national education guides,” said Dr. James Forbes, chair of the Department of Psychology. “The rankings are external, independent confirmation that we offer high-quality programs, and that resonates with both current and prospective students. They know that when they graduate, they will be well prepared to pursue their career aspirations.”
The M.S. in counseling psychology degree is a 60-credit-hour program that can be completed on campus or in a hybrid on-campus/online format. It prepares students to become licensed psychological associates or licensed professional counselors. It recently earned the following national rankings:
- Intelligent.com – No. 1 and “Intelligent Pick” among the “Top 38 Master’s in Psychology Degree Programs”
- Intelligent.com – No. 6 and “Best in the South” among the “Top 42 Master’s in Counseling Degree Programs”
- TopCounselingSchools.org – No. 8 among the “Top 30 Public Universities for Master’s Degrees in Counseling”
The M.S. in applied psychology degree program requires 36 credit hours and can be completed totally online, on-campus or in a hybrid format. An undergraduate degree in psychology is not required for admission to the program. It recently earned the following national rankings:
- PsychDegrees.org – No. 2 among the “Top 10 Best Online Master’s in Psychology Degree Programs”
- CollegeValuesOnline.com – No. 2 among the “Best Value Colleges for an Online Master’s in Psychology”
- BestCollegesOnline.org – No. 3 among the “Top 40 Most Affordable Online Master’s in Psychology Programs”
- BestValueSchools.com – No. 11 among the “Best Online Clinical Psychology Graduate Programs”
- The ED Advocate – No. 12 among the “Best Online Master’s in Psychology Programs”
- BestHealthDegrees.com – No. 12 among the “Best Online Psychology Master’s Programs”
The M.S. in industrial/organizational psychology degree program requires 42 credit hours and can be completed on campus or in a hybrid on-campus/online format. It recently earned the following national ranking:
- Intelligent.com – No. 25 and “Best for Applied Experience” among the “Best Master’s in Organizational Psychology Degree Programs”
All of the guides use similar criteria for their rankings, including accreditation, quality and length of program, tuition costs, online accessibility, school reputation and return on investment. Data sources include the U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, school websites and other ranking entities like U.S. News and World Report.
Since ASU’s graduate psychology program received its first national ranking in 2015, it has shown a 10% growth in enrollment, which is expected to further increase with the recent addition of a new Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) in counseling psychology. The Psy.D. degree program is now admitting students for the fall 2022 semester. Graduates of the program will be prepared for high-demand careers as licensed psychologists.
All of ASU’s online, on-campus and hybrid psychology degree programs are offered through the Department of Psychology within the Archer College of Health and Human Services. More details are available at angelo.edu/psych.