Mr. Tom Nurre Jr.
- News release coverage for entire campus
- Media liaison for contacts and placements
- Editor for news and marketing materials
- Primary writer for ASU’s Rambouillet magazine
- Multimedia feature/news writer
- ASU website copy writer
- ASU radio service production
Marketing Coverage Areas:
- Athletics (non-sporting events)
- Kay Bailey Hutchison Center for Cyber Intelligence, Innovation, and Security Studies
- Department of Security Studies and Criminal Justice
- College of Science and Engineering Departments:
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Computer Science
- Physics and Geosciences
- Archer College of Health and Human Services Departments:
- Health Science Professions
- Physical Therapy
- Social Work and Sociology
- Honors Program
- International Programs
- VETS Center
- University Recreation and Intramurals
- Admissions and Enrollment Management
- Development and Alumni Relations
A 1991 graduate of ASU, Tom joined the Office of Communications and Marketing in September of 2006 after spending 16 years as a radio and TV journalist and sports broadcaster.
Since his arrival, he has won five individual Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Awards for feature and web writing and shared in numerous American Advertising Federation-San Angelo ADDY Awards for the ASU website, ASU Magazine and other campus publications. He was nominated for 2008, 2012 and 2013 ASU Staff Excellence Awards, as well as 2013 and 2019 Gary and Pat Rodgers Distinguished Staff Awards and a 2021-22 Chancellor’s Col. Rowan Award for Execution. He received the 2016 President’s Award for Staff Excellence-Commitment to Excellence.
As a student, Tom cut his teeth in media as sports editor of the Ram Page from 1990-91 and received his bachelor’s degree in journalism in 1991. Since 1990, he has been a fixture on local radio and television, first as news/sports director at KGKL Radio, then as “Top of the Morning” anchor and later sports director at KLST-TV, and currently as producer of the weekly Angelo State Update on KKSA Radio.
From 1998-2010, Tom logged literally thousands of bus miles traveling as the radio play-by-play announcer for the San Angelo Outlaws and Saints hockey teams, San Angelo Colts baseball team and San Angelo Stampede Express arena football team. As the first director of media relations and broadcasting for the newly-revived Colts in 2000, he was part of the front office staff that was named Organization of the Year by the Texas-Louisiana League. He has also handled sports broadcasting duties for Central and Lake View high schools and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and he remains a part-time radio announcer for ASU athletics.
A San Angelo native, Tom traveled extensively with his Air Force family, living in the Philippines, Iowa, San Antonio, Alaska (twice) and England (twice) before returning to San Angelo in 1986. His wife, Nana, is an ASU nursing graduate employed by the San Angelo Independent School District. They share their home with two rescue dogs, Rusty and Rip.