Parent PLUS Loan Application Process
Angelo State University participates in Direct Lending. All parent PLUS Loan borrowers must complete the https://studentloans.gov process when a PLUS Loan is awarded.
- Student receives PLUS award notification from Angelo State University.
- Student enters online acceptance of the PLUS award via Rams or RamPort.
- Parent borrower logs on to https://studentloans.gov using the parent’s verified FSA ID (Username & Password) from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and completes the required credit check by clicking on the “Request PLUS Loan” link and entering the required information. Detailed instructions on requesting a PLUS Loan application.
- The parent borrower will be notified instantly if the PLUS loan is credit approved or credit denied.
- The Department of Education will send ASU the credit response (approval/denial) electronically within 2-3 business days.
- Congratulations on your credit approval! The parent borrower allows 24–72 business hours for ASU to create the loan origination.
- Parent borrower logs on to https://studentloans.gov and clicks the link “Complete Master promissory Note”.
- Click on ‘Complete PLUS MPN for Parents’ – complete steps 1 through 4 and electronically sign the MPN using the parent verified FSA ID (Username & Password) from the FAFSA.
- Parent borrower prints any confirmation pages for future reference.
- Parent borrower allows two business days for the MPN confirmation to be uploaded by the school.
If any questions arise during the completion of the https://studentloans.gov process, please contact the Department of Education’s Applicant Services at 800-557-7394.