Parent PLUS Loan Application Process
Angelo State University participates in Direct Lending. All parent PLUS Loan borrowers must complete the https://studentloans.gov process when a PLUS Loan is awarded.
- Student receives PLUS award notification from Angelo State University.
- Student enters online acceptance of the PLUS award via Rams or RamPort.
- Parent borrower logs on to https://studentloans.gov using the parent’s verified FSA ID (Username & Password) from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and completes the required credit check by clicking on the “Request PLUS Loan” link and entering the required information. Detailed instructions on requesting a PLUS Loan application.
- The parent borrower will be notified instantly if the PLUS loan is credit approved or credit denied.
- The Department of Education will send ASU the credit response (approval/denial) electronically within 2-3 business days.
- There’s still hope! Once the Financial Aid Office receives the denial, the student’s file will be processed to determine whether or not the student has any additional eligibility through the Stafford program. Typically students are eligible for an additional $4000 upon a parent credit denial.
- If the student has additional Stafford eligibility, the Financial Aid Office will automatically award the additional funds to the student. The student will need to accept the award via RamPort.
- If the parent requested an appeal or an endorser and no longer wishes to continue with these options, then the parent should notify the Financial Aid Office.
If any questions arise during the completion of the https://studentloans.gov process, please contact the Department of Education’s Applicant Services at 800-557-7394.