Detailed Instructions for the PLUS Application Process
Please be aware that once the Parent PLUS Application has been submitted, and you realize there is a mistake, you cannot sign back on to make corrections, delete it or cancel it. However, if you have not submitted your application, you may save it at any point, and continue working on it at a later time. If you have completed the application in error, you will need to contact the Financial Aid Office to inform us that you do not want to proceed with the PLUS loan.
When completing step 1, please note that when you are required to enter numbers (driver’s license, social security number, etc.), do not use any symbols (for example: @, &, etc.), or extra spaces, as the website will view them as invalid characters.
Note: Please ensure that you are entering correct student information on this step, or you may receive the following error message: “The information you provided on the student(s) below differs from our records. Verify that the data you have entered is correct. If you select continue without making changes, the data currently on our system will be overwritten. ”
- Parent borrower goes to https://studentloans.gov and clicks the blue ‘Sign In’ button, located at the top right of the page. (If you do not see the blue sign-in button, you may not be using a supported browser. To make sure your computer is compatible with the site, click on the Menu button on the top right and then clock on Customer Support and then What You Need. If you are using a browser that is not supported, your view and interaction with this site may be significantly impaired.
- Sign in using the parent’s FSA ID. Each borrower, including parents for a Parent PLUS loan, must have their own unique FSA ID and sign in using their own information. (If you don’t have an FSA ID, then click on the link that say, “Create an FSA ID” that is directly under the blue log in button.).
- Once you are signed in, you will see ‘Personal Information’ located on the right side of the page. If you have “I would like to receive my correspondence electronically” selected, make sure your email address is entered twice. If you do not have an email address, uncheck the box requesting for electronic correspondence, and click ‘Update’.
- Click on the link that say, “Apply for a Direct Plus Loan.”
- Click on the Start button on the bottom right next to “Direct Plus Loan Application for the Parents.” Make sure that the parent’s name and Social Security number will be at the top as the the Borrower.
- Pull down the ‘Award Year’ tab and select the year you are applying for.
Parent PLUS and Graduate PLUS Applications Dates Attendance Dates FAFSA Year Applications Submission Period Fall 2016
2016-2017 April 19, 2016 to
August 9, 2017
2017-2018 April 19, 2017 to
August 8, 2018
- If you have already registered students, please select from the list. Otherwise, enter the student’s information. Please verify you are entering the SSN and DOB in the correct formats. The SSN should consist of 9 digits (excluding any dashes or spaces) and the Date of Birth should be placed in the format of mmddyyyy (the system will automatically enter dashes in between the month, day, and year of the DOB).
- Choose ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to the question Request for Deferment While Student is Enrolled in School. (Do you want to defer repayment of your Direct PLUS Loan while the student on whose behalf you obtained the loan is enrolled at an eligible school on at least a half-time basis?)
- Choose ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to the question Request for 6-Month Post Enrollment Deferment.(Do you want to defer repayment of your Direct PLUS Loan for 6 months beginning on the date the student ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis?)
- Answer the question Authorization for School to Use Loan Funds to Satisfy Other Charges. If you want to answer yes check the box next to “I authorize the school to use my Direct PLUS Loan to pay for other educationally related charges that the student incurs at the school, as described above.”
- Answer the question, “If there is a credit balance after your Direct PLUS Loan has been applied to the student’s school account, to whom do you want the school to pay the credit balance?” Please choose one option between ‘Me’ or ‘The Student’.
- Enter the school and loan information. Make sure the ‘School State’ field matches the correct state that the school is located in, and then select the school name. If a red circle with an ‘X’ appears (Error message: This school is not participating in the Direct PLUS loan request process) after you select the school name, this means that the school does not participate in the electronic Parent PLUS application process. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to determine how they would like you to apply.
- Indicate the loan amount you would like to borrow. You may choose if you want to borrow the maximum Direct Parent PLUS Loan amount for which you are eligible, as determined by the school, you may specify a loan amount, or you may contact the school to determine a loan amount.
- Verify the loan period for which you are requesting a Direct PLUS loan. Click on the dropdown box under ‘Requested Loan Period Start Date’ ‘to enter the month and year. Then click on the dropdown box under ‘Requested Loan Period End Date’ to enter the month and year. (Example: for the 2016-2017 award year, the loan period should read 08/2016-05/2017.)
- Click ‘Continue’ to move on to the next step.
- Answer the Loan Default Status question.
- Choose your citizenship status. If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident/eligible non-U.S. citizen, you will not be eligible for a Parent PLUS Loan. For more information regarding the citizenship requirements, click on “Why do we ask?”
- Enter your driver’s license information. If you do not have a driver’s license, you can leave this blank.
- Enter your permanent address, evening telephone number and email address.
- Enter your employer’s name and address. If you do not have an employer, please check the box that states, “I do not have an employer.”
- Click ‘Continue’ to move on to the next step.
- Review all information provided and verify that it is correct prior to submitting the loan application. If any of the information is incorrect, you may modify it by clicking on the ‘Edit’ button next to each section.
- Click ‘Save and Exit’ or ‘Continue’ to move on the next step.
- Check the box that states, “For each loan that I request under this application, I authorize the Department of Education to investigate my credit record and report information about my loans to persons and organizations permitted by law to receive that information.” Then select ‘Continue.’ Your PLUS application cannot be submitted without a credit check. Your credit check results will be sent as part of the application to the school(s) you have selected.
- After you click on ‘Continue,’ an image will appear on the screen indicating that the request is being processed. Once the request is complete, the next screen will show you the results of your credit decision.
Go back to the Parent PLUS application steps.