This competition is intended to encourage the study of foreign languages among 7th -12th-graders. In addition to the competition, we will have entertaining and educational experiences for students to enjoy between events, including presentations organized by ASU’s foreign language clubs.
Each participating school may register up to 20 students from grades 7-12, with a maximum of 10 students per language.
In contrast to years past, we will not send printed invitations, and all registration will occur online.
Areas of Competition
Each registered student must participate in the following competitive events:
- Poetry Recitations:
- Prose Reading (prose with selections to be made by teachers or competing students)
- Extemporaneous speaking
- Computer-assisted listening and reading comprehension tests
Additionally, for each language in which a school competes, each school will submit the following for judging:
- Short film – One film no longer than 5 minutes
- Poster – One 16 x 20-inch digital poster
For example, if your school has students competing in German and Spanish, your school will submit one short film and one poster in German, and one short film and one poster in Spanish.
The entry fee for each student is $20 and includes a lunch. For an additional $8 fee, teachers can also receive lunch vouchers.
- Both charges are payable by credit card after completing online registration.
- Teachers will register their students by completing our online application, which will be available Jan. 15, 2018, through 5 p.m. Feb. 15, 2018.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- Your registration will not be considered complete until payment has been submitted successfully.
- Payments are not refundable.
A check-in station will be set up in ASU’s Houston Harte University Center on the morning of competition.
At check-in, teachers will be given the following:
- Name tags for teachers and students, which will include both the teacher’s judging schedules and the students’ competition schedules.
- String-A-Sling backpacks for each student participant.
No changes are allowed once the registration is submitted with the only exception of changes during our check-in, where deletions and exact substitutions (same language, level and event) can occur.
Unfortunately, we cannot provide refunds for no-shows or for any other reason.
Identification and Disciplinary Action
Teachers and students should wear the issued name tags visibly at all times while on campus. Students may not keep them in their pockets. Students should also bring a photo ID with them.
Teachers are responsible for their students’ behavior. Disciplinary action may include, but is not limited to, loss of individual awards and disqualification from sweepstakes.
University dining facilities are available for participants’ use on campus. Lunch vouchers provided to each student and teacher will be valid for dining facilities located at the University Center.
Photos will be taken by an ASU photographer that could be cablecast and posted on our competition website.