Current solicitation limits per fiscal year, regardless of the source of funds are:
- $0 - $15,000 Only one solicitation (bid or quote) is required; however, requisitioning departments are encouraged to obtain more than one bid. Purchases from a historically underutilized business (HUB) are encouraged to the fullest extent possible.
- $15,000.01 - $40,000 Three informal competitive solicitation responses (bids or quote) are required, with two being from certified HUBs. The Invitation to Bid form or an approved modified version is the preferred method to solicit vendor responses (contact the Purchasing Office for assistance). If one or more non-responsive solicitation responses are received from the HUB vendors, then solicit, at a minimum, three HUB vendors.
- Over $40,000 Formal solicitation responses will be obtained by the Purchasing Office on procurements in excess of $40,000 that do not conform with one of the other procurement types listed in this OP.
Orders may not be split into smaller procurements in an effort to avoid the competitive bidding requirements. Please do not do it.
After the fact orders
After the fact orders are NOT permitted. Purchase Orders must be APPROVED and issued before the merchandise or service is received. Invoices are not appropriate documentation to create an online requisition.
No food, drink, entertainment or floral arrangements from State Funds. For a complete list see OP 14.05.
Remember to issue requisitions for blanket orders for items purchased on a repetitive basis when specific quantities or amounts are not known. Orders may not cross fiscal years, cannot exceed bid limits and cannot be back-dated to cover a previous purchase.
The ASU logo, seal and name have all been trademarked, and any item on which they appear must now be purchased from a vendor licensed through ASU’s Contracting Office. The office of Communications and Marketing has been charged with review of each product design. You can find a listing of licensed vendors on the vendor page.
A registration fee can be paid by the employee personally and reimbursed on the travel voucher upon their return; or an online requisition can be done so that the fee can be paid thru a PO; or it can be paid for using a ProCard (a copy of the registration form/invoice and approved Travel Authorization must be attached to the transaction log).
Estimated Cost Orders
If an exact cost is not available for a service request, a requisition can still be created with an estimated cost just so that we have an encumbrance in place prior to the service being provided.
Remember to always submit your requisitions with an estimated freight charge or a notation if no freight amount is to be charged.
Banner Online Requisitions
Requisitions need to have complete descriptions for each item, and not abbreviations, remember to use item text to complete a description. Quotes and contract numbers should be included as part of document text.
As an approver, remember to disapprove any requisition that shows up in your queue with a “Y” in the NSF column so that it can be corrected and resubmitted. As a requisitioner, remember to look at the bottom of the last screen to make sure that you do not get the message: Insufficient budget for sequence 1, suspending transaction, because if you do then you have an “NSF” transaction.
HEAF funds are designated to be used for construction, major renovations, or to purchase equipment, as well as expenses associated with putting the purchased equipment into service. HEAF is not authorized to be used for operating expenses. There is a $250 per item dollar threshold for equipment purchases.
As a rule, departments should procure new equipment, but sometimes it is necessary or advantageous to purchase used equipment. The most common reasons for purchase of used equipment include:
- the inability to secure new equipment,
- the lack of adequate funds for new equipment, or
- substantial savings.
Contact the Purchasing Office for information on the steps that need to be followed.
Banner Account Codes and Vendor ID Listings
Please see the list of commonly used account codes and vendor ID numbers.
Buying a Vehicle, Gator, Golf Cart, etc
Procedures for Procurement of New Cars-Trucks-Trailers-ATV-Gators-Golf Carts and/or Tractors For Angelo State University
Contact the Purchasing Director indicating you wish to make a purchase
- Is there a trade in? Must know the make/model & VIN of current vehicle (if applicable).
- Do you know what new vehicle you want? Please provide basic details to Purchasing Director.
- If vendor over 300 miles away – staff must pick up the vehicle
- If near the end of the fiscal year, please provide funding to Purchasing Director to ensure able to receive vehicle after 9/1 (if applicable)
- Staff may not sign for anything with regards to a vehicle purchasing.
Requisition issued to Purchasing (if there is a trade in, list property number & amount of trade-in)
PO issued to vendor & copies sent via email to Justina Stark, Elicia Rankin & Jolene Varela as Notification of purchase.
Vendor told that only Angie Wright, VP of Finance & Administration, can sign for new vehicle
- If outside of San Angelo, need to arrange to FedEx signed documents to Justina Stark’s attention prior to pick up/delivery of item.
- If local vendor, must contact Justina Stark at least one week prior to pick up/delivery to check Angie’s schedule to arrange time for signature.
Once documents are signed, Justina copies, fills out license plate tax exempt information and sends information to Elicia, Jolene and Sam Spooner.
- Jolene receives the original copies of documents
- Others get electronic copies
Jolene does a paper requisition for the registration and plates for the vehicles
- Tries to do one paper requisition monthly
- Typically takes 30 days for plating and insuring a vehicle
Elicia assigns the property tag and puts it on the new vehicle
- She adds the new vehicle to inventory
- Elicia notifies Jolene so the gas card can be ordered
- Notifies Sam Spooner for the cost, etc for insurance
Jolene is notified by Elicia of property tag number & orders the gas card
- Typically takes up to a week to receive gas card from state
For Trade In – Elicia takes the plates off the vehicle to return them to the state and deletes the items from the inventory.