Carr ROTC Scholarships
Each year, the Air Force ROTC detachment at Angelo State University offers more than $70,000 in scholarships to qualified students in the ROTC program. The funds are from the Carr ROTC Scholarship endowment. The endowment, left to the university by Mr. and Mrs. Robert G. Carr, is the largest private scholarship fund for AFROTC in the nation.
Criteria for Selection
Carr Air Force ROTC (AFROTC) Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis. To be eligible for consideration, high school seniors must:
- Score a combined math and verbal total of 800 or higher on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or score a 900 or higher on the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT I) or
- Score a composite score of 20 or higher on the Enhanced ACT Assessment.
- Submit an Application for Admission and supporting paperwork to Angelo State University through the Admissions Office.
Consideration is given to these attributes and achievements:
- Class rank
- Grade point average
- Extracurricular activities
- Honesty and integrity
- Initiative and motivation
Priority Date for Applications
Applications are accepted year-round, but to receive your award by fee payment time, please submit your application package by March 15.
The Carr ROTC Scholarship Application
The Carr ROTC Scholarships Application for 2016-2017 is now available on RamPort.
- Login using your ASU Username & Password.
- Select the ‘Financial Aid & Billing’ page.
- Click the ‘Apply for ASU Scholarships’ link.
- Read each application carefully and complete the applications listed that you feel you qualify.
The criteria and procedures for scholarship awards and the priority application dates may be changed by AFROTC without notice.
Applicants for Carr ROTC Scholarships will be notified in writing regarding the status of their application once the package has gone before the scholarship board.
Award Terms and Conditions
Individual scholarships up to $1,500 are awarded annually.
Out-of-State Tuition Waivers
The receipt of a Carr AFROTC Scholarship does not guarantee a tuition waiver. Non-Texas residents may be considered for an out-of-state tuition waiver based on current university criteria.
Scholarship Renewal Provisions
Students do not have to reapply each academic year for scholarship renewal. Once a student is part of the ROTC program, continuation of the scholarship and the amount of the scholarship for the year(s) to follow is based on academic and corps performance.
Duration and Conditions of Award
Scholarship recipients receive one-half of their awards at fall fee payment and the remainder at spring fee payment, provided the recipients are meeting the scholarship’s academic requirements specified in the Statement of Understanding and are maintaining high personal standards.
• Attend ASU as full-time students (12 semester credit hours for undergraduate students).
• Be enrolled in an aerospace studies class and an accompanying leadership lab.
Students who withdraw from the aerospace studies class and leadership lab may be required to repay all or part of the scholarship awarded.
Carr AFROTC Scholarships are not available during summer sessions because no aerospace studies classes are taught at those times. The summers are left open for other Air Force training.